Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TKerr

Default Way to turn off "Update Table of Contents" prompt

I third, fourth and fifth this suggestion. I maintain thousands of documents
with multiple table of contents embedded in each and always want the entire
table updated.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I second this suggestion. It's especially important to me when I send
documents to a client who doesn't have "Update fields" enabled and may print
the document without updating the TOC.

"Bill Menees" Bill wrote in message
Please provide a way to turn off the "Update Table of Contents" prompt. I
ALWAYS want Word to update the entire table. I NEVER want it to just

update
page numbers.

The TOC field should support a switch like \updateentire (or something
shorter like \e) that would tell the field not to prompt. Then no matter

who
updates the document, the TOC will know to update the entire table.

If you're willing to change the default behavior, then the TOC field

should
probably default to always updating the entire table. Updating the table

of
contents is so fast nowadays that it's a rare case when it's worthwhile to
only update the page numbers. If you go with this option, then you could
provide a switch to let users force a prompt if that's what they really
wanted.

Programmatically speaking, it should be REALLY, REALLY simple to add this

the next version of Word. All it does is provide a default choice for an
existing prompt that you currently require a dialog for. Then on the

"Edit
Field" dialog for TOC fields, you'd need to add one more checkbox. PLEASE
put this in the next version of Office! I've been wanting this since

Office
97.

Thanks,

Bill