Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue

Default creating envelope in Word

In Word, when Im creating an envelope and using the address book, what
settings do I have to change to get it to pick up the company name. When I
select a contact, it only inserts the persons name and mailing address. Ive
tried everything I could think of and Im tired of banging my head against
the wall.
--
Sue
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Copy the following exactly and save as an autotext entry called
AddressLayout (all one word)

{PR_GIVEN_NAME PR_SURNAME
}{PR_COMPANY_NAME
}{PR_POSTAL_ADDRESS}

(note the curly brackets are not field boundaries, but are typed from the
keyboard)

Alternatively forget the envelope wizard and use an envelope template. The
samples on the downloads page of my web site link with Outlook and add the
company field.

Sue wrote:
In Word, when I'm creating an envelope and using the address book,
what settings do I have to change to get it to pick up the company
name. When I select a contact, it only inserts the persons name and
mailing address. I've tried everything I could think of and I'm
tired of banging my head against the wall.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You save it in normal.dot - the default for autotexts.
Note the curly brackets are not field boundaries (CTRL+F9) but are typed
directly from the keyboard and are used to eliminate spaces when the fields
are empty. The full range of fields that can be used in this manner are
listed at http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm

Sue wrote:
In Word, when I'm creating an envelope and using the address book,
what settings do I have to change to get it to pick up the company
name. When I select a contact, it only inserts the persons name and
mailing address. I've tried everything I could think of and I'm
tired of banging my head against the wall.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Fetsch

What I meant was, after I have the autotext entry, how do I use it in the
envelope? I have Word 2000, and after I click Tools, Envelopes and Labels,
what do I do to use the autotext entry with the address book?

Sue wrote:
In Word, when I'm creating an envelope and using the address book,
what settings do I have to change to get it to pick up the company
name. When I select a contact, it only inserts the persons name and
mailing address. I've tried everything I could think of and I'm
tired of banging my head against the wall.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Ah! If the autotext is present Word uses the layout to format the addresses
when using the label wizard, so the answer is that you don't do anything
with it beyond having it present Use the envelope wizard and see what
happens when you insert an address.

Sue wrote:
In Word, when I'm creating an envelope and using the address book,
what settings do I have to change to get it to pick up the company
name. When I select a contact, it only inserts the persons name
and mailing address. I've tried everything I could think of and
I'm tired of banging my head against the wall.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Fetsch

Where should the autotext be present? I haven't used autotext or envelopes
much, so I'd appreciate some step by step instructions. Here's what I've
done so far: I put your code in a blank document, selected it, and clicked
New on the Autotext toolbar. I named it EnvAdd. I then clicked Tools,
Envelopes and Labels and clicked on the Address Book. I found my entry and
double-clicked on it. Now what?

I also clicked File, New, Letters and Faxes, and then double-clicked on the
Envelope Wizard. I just got a new blank document.

I know this seems very simple to you, but I don't have a clue how to apply
this autotext entry to the Outlook address.

Thanks for your time with this.

Sue wrote:
In Word, when I'm creating an envelope and using the address book,
what settings do I have to change to get it to pick up the company
name. When I select a contact, it only inserts the persons name
and mailing address. I've tried everything I could think of and
I'm tired of banging my head against the wall.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should save the AutoText entry in Normal.dot, and, as specified in the
instructions, it must be named AddressLayout.

Perhaps it will be easier to understand if you read the KB article €śWD97:
How to Modify the Layout of an Address Book Entry€ť at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=134901 or "HOW TO: Modify the Layout of
an Address Book Entry in Word 2000" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212345

Sue wrote:
In Word, when I'm creating an envelope and using the address book,
what settings do I have to change to get it to pick up the company
name. When I select a contact, it only inserts the persons name
and mailing address. I've tried everything I could think of and
I'm tired of banging my head against the wall.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

As Suzanne has posted and I indicated in my original reply, you must call
the autotext entry AddressLayout - all one word - and NOT EnvAdd! When you
save that entry it is automatically recorded in normal.dot. Then when you go
to tools envelopes and labels envelope and pick your address from the
address book, it will be automatically formatted in the manner of the
autotext entry.

If you are prompted to save normal.dot on exit from Word - do so!

If you want to use an envelope template from file new, then there are
samples on the downloads page of my web site that will link with Outlook.

Sue wrote:
In Word, when I'm creating an envelope and using the address
book, what settings do I have to change to get it to pick up
the company name. When I select a contact, it only inserts the
persons name and mailing address. I've tried everything I
could think of and I'm tired of banging my head against the
wall.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Fetsch

Thank you, Graham and Suzanne, for your help with this. My apologies for
overlooking how to name the autotext entry. It's simple once you do it
correctly!