Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kempofighter

Default Problems using document map

Hello. I have to post these questions because I didn't see the answers in
other posts. I do know a bit more about document map from reading other
posts but still had some remaining questions.

For some reason, it doesn't seem to work consistently for me. I use MS word
2003. I have a document that has a TOC, TOF, TOT which I update
automatically using f-9. Throughout the document, I use heading 1-5 for each
entry that I wish to keep linked to my TOC entries. I haven't had any
problems with TOC. I'm having all kinds of problems with Doc Map, TOF, TOT,
and captions.

First, my doc map sometimes will show a heading entry but without the
chapters; like so:

3. (U) Preliminary Design
3.1 (U) (U) CSCI External Interfaces
(U) CSCI Architecture

Notice how the third entry I show doesn't have 3.2 prefix? I click on that
entry in doc map and it takes me to that heading in my document. In the
document, it looks correct with the chapter 3.2 prefix. My doc uses basic
autonumbering for headings. Both TOC and actual doc look fine. But doc map
isn't correct. Normally I'd say who cares. But since I am having a whole
slew of other problems, I'm sure it is a clue as to how to solve other issues
I am having. Sometimes, things show up in Document map that aren't even
headings such as the first line of a normal paragraph between headings. I
don't get this either. This problem seems to come and go. Sometimes I see
it and sometimes the map looks great. Another issue is that my Appendixes
don't look right. For instance:

in doc map:

APPENDIX A (U) External Interfaces
Appendix B (U) Internal Interfaces

Notice how app b is in lowercase in doc map? Now in my actual Document and
table of contents both use heading 1 format and our all uppercase and in bold
type. Why would it show up differently in doc map for only Appendix B?

I hope someone has some insight into these issues. This post is kind of
long; so I'll post my caption questions in a separate posting.

Best Regards,

Shawn