sn4ke

Default Normal.dot to Normal.dot.old

Hi,
my Word2003 (on WinXP) does not recognize that there is a normal.dot already
existing. Word changes my normal.dot to normal.dot.old and generates a new
normal.dot.
This only happens when I open Word for the first time.
Here are some background informations:
I am working in a network. I have an folder in the network on a server which
is for the templates. And I work on a few computers. I have added several
macros and many other things to my normal.dot. When I then go to another
computer, start Word, then Word does not use my normal.dot on the network
server. Instead Word creates a new normal.dot IN THE SAME FOLDER on the
network. So Word knows where my template folder is.
Can anybody tell my why word does not use my normal.dot??? We have about
300 Users and I donĀ“t want to go to every computer to change the
normal.dot.old back to normal.dot!! Because this happens every user on every
computer.

Thank you very much for any help!!!
Simon
Graham Mayor

There is no mechanism in Word to create a normal.dot.old file. This must
have been introduced, probably as part of a log-in script, by the IT Nazis
who set up your network. There is no reason whatsoever to do this, so I
would take it up with them.

sn4ke wrote:
Hi,
my Word2003 (on WinXP) does not recognize that there is a normal.dot
already existing. Word changes my normal.dot to normal.dot.old and
generates a new normal.dot.
This only happens when I open Word for the first time.
Here are some background informations:
I am working in a network. I have an folder in the network on a
server which is for the templates. And I work on a few computers. I
have added several macros and many other things to my normal.dot.
When I then go to another computer, start Word, then Word does not
use my normal.dot on the network server. Instead Word creates a new
normal.dot IN THE SAME FOLDER on the network. So Word knows where my
template folder is.
Can anybody tell my why word does not use my normal.dot??? We have
about 300 Users and I don“t want to go to every computer to change the
normal.dot.old back to normal.dot!! Because this happens every user
on every computer.

Thank you very much for any help!!!
Simon

sn4ke

That's not possible, because I wrote a batchfile which starts, close and copy
after starting and closing winword my own normal.dot file. effect: winword
doesn't rename my normal.dot file in normal.dot.old. But I think that's not a
good solution. I'm searching for a registry-key or something like that. Is
there definitely no mechanism?