Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR SilverFox JR SilverFox is offline

Default 2007 "Beta" 2 Select All text in 'Normal' view

Select All text in 'Normal' view no longer selects header and footer.
I used to use ViewNormal, ctrlA, F9 to update all fields in my documents
which use fields to insert custom properties in the header and body of
documents.
I cannot find a way to select All as in 2000, 2002, 2003.
Have I missed a setting?
I know I can use Print Preview to achieve this but would like to understand
why this functionality seems to have been removed.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Notice that there is no Normal view, per se, in Word 2007. Instead, it's now
called Draft view, although it's essentially the same as Normal view. IMO,
this is an improvement, since the word "normal" is so overused in Word
parlance. But, it does make "normal" view hard to discover...

In the views section of the Status bar, click the right-most icon (Draft),
press Ctrl+A, F9, and fields in headers and footers should still be updated,
just as in previous versions of Word.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"JR SilverFox" JR wrote in message
Select All text in 'Normal' view no longer selects header and footer.
I used to use ViewNormal, ctrlA, F9 to update all fields in my
documents
which use fields to insert custom properties in the header and body of
documents.
I cannot find a way to select All as in 2000, 2002, 2003.
Have I missed a setting?
I know I can use Print Preview to achieve this but would like to
understand
why this functionality seems to have been removed.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR SilverFox JR SilverFox is offline

Thanks Herb,
Yeah, I had found draft mode as the closest to the old 'Normal', and I agree
that 'Normal' is an overused term.
I checked again but that doesn't update the header fields as the old
'Normal' used to.
I went through all the obvious views and could not get the header fields to
update. Is there a setting I may have wrong?

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Print Preview should update all fields in the header/footer (regardless of
the setting of "Update fields" on the Print tab of Tools | Options [or
whatever the Word 2007 equivalent is]).

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR SilverFox JR SilverFox is offline

Thanks Suzanne! It works a treat.
But it leaves my question; was it a considered change? - I cannot now select
the content of a header (in draft mode) where I could in previous versions
using 'normal' view.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can't answer that, I'm afraid.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Print Preview should update all fields in the header/footer (regardless

of
the setting of "Update fields" on the Print tab of Tools | Options [or
whatever the Word 2007 equivalent is]).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't know why it's not working for you -- it works fine here. Since it's
beta software, though, it's possible that there is some local condition
that's preventing it from working for you.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Print Preview should update all fields in the header/footer (regardless
of
the setting of "Update fields" on the Print tab of Tools | Options [or
whatever the Word 2007 equivalent is]).

so
all may benefit.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR SilverFox JR SilverFox is offline

Thanks Suzanne and Herb.
Yes, of course, it is beta software but pretty solid from my experience.
The only strange thing I have found when working in compatibility mode is
that a document containing a 'Vertical Text Box' cannot be successfully save
as '97-2003' format as 2007 treats these boxes differently. Otherwise I like
the product very much - it is noticeably faster to scroll through documents!

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What do you mean by "Vertical Text Box"?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Print Preview should update all fields in the header/footer
(regardless
of
the setting of "Update fields" on the Print tab of Tools | Options [or
whatever the Word 2007 equivalent is]).

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR SilverFox JR SilverFox is offline

I have a document with three inserted items all containing line diagrams.
There is a prompt displayed BLHC of the screen: Double click to edit , or run
slide show as appropriate. One is a Powerpoint slide and two are Powerpoint
Presentations. Only one of the presentations (consisting of one slide) causes
the Word Compatibility Checker to report 'Vertical Text Boxes will not render
correctly in older versions of Word' when trying to save the document.
Admitedly this is the most complex of the three diagrams but I am unable to
see why only this one causes the problem.
Any ideas Herb?

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I haven't seen that particular message. But, I don't often work with
Powerpoint slides inside Word documents.

I tried a variety of insertion techniques for a variety of different
PowerPoint slides & whole presentations, but wasn't able to trigger that
particular compatibility message.

How were they inserted?

If you'd care to send me an example, I can take a look. Send to pp-problem
(at) herb.thetysons.org, replacing (at) with the necessary email character,
of course.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR SilverFox JR SilverFox is offline

Hi Herb,
Insertion method was InsertObjectFrom File.
I have experimented further and deleting the object and re-inserting it
clears the problem. I also tried 'Open' ing the presentation from within Word
(2002 and 2007) - both were successful, whilst 'Edit' caused an error in
both! - 'Not a vaid embedded object' about 2-3 seconds after displaying the
object in an editing frame.
I guess I have now answered my own question - the Compatibility Checker
obviously does a good job!.
Sorry to have taken so much of your time.
Regards, JR

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If I--and others--weren't willing to invest the time and didn't enough
troubleshooting and problem solving, we wouldn't be here doing it. So,
apologies aren't needed. Each time I investigate something -- even if I
don't resolve the issue -- I learn something I didn't already know, giving
me future ammunition for other problems.

Cheers,

--

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Please respond in the newsgroups so everyone can follow
along.
"JR SilverFox" JR
wrote
in
message
Select All text in 'Normal' view no longer selects header
and
footer.
I used to use ViewNormal, ctrlA, F9 to update all
fields
in
my
documents
which use fields to insert custom properties in the header
and
body
of
documents.
I cannot find a way to select All as in 2000, 2002, 2003.
Have I missed a setting?
I know I can use Print Preview to achieve this but would
like
understand
why this functionality seems to have been removed.

Arcane Question @ Text Boxes & "Frames" Elmer Page Layout 12 August 14th 06 08:34 AM
Body Text vs Normal Adrian Formatting Long Documents 13 March 9th 06 05:01 AM
Table Format Style vs. Table Text Style WebColin Page Layout 11 December 1st 05 11:29 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
textbox to normal text Jack Sons New Users 16 December 5th 04 03:44 PM