Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Boots

Default altering details

I am merging from an Access database query. One of my fields is a 7 digit
number that always begins with '05'. Is it possible to change this within
word so that it is prefixed with '06' instead, with out changing it in
Access? so instead of saying 0512345 it would say 0612345

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Try adding 100000 to the mergefield using the following calculation field
construction

{ = (100000 + { MERGEFIELD [Access Field] }) \# "0000000" }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Boots" wrote in message
I am merging from an Access database query. One of my fields is a 7 digit
number that always begins with '05'. Is it possible to change this within
word so that it is prefixed with '06' instead, with out changing it in
Access? so instead of saying 0512345 it would say 0612345

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Boots

Hi Doug,
I entered what you suggested but I got a syntax error. This what I
have entered
{=(1000000 + {MERGEFIELD "Control_Num"})\# "00000000"}

the control number is actually 8 digits and not 17 as I earlier stated so i
have added an extra 0 to the =function.

"Boots" wrote in message
I am merging from an Access database query. One of my fields is a 7 digit
number that always begins with '05'. Is it possible to change this within
word so that it is prefixed with '06' instead, with out changing it in
Access? so instead of saying 0512345 it would say 0612345

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Did you use CTRL+F9 for the field boundaries?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Try adding 100000 to the mergefield using the following calculation
field construction

{ = (100000 + { MERGEFIELD [Access Field] }) \# "0000000" }

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Boots" wrote in message
I am merging from an Access database query. One of my fields is a
7 digit number that always begins with '05'. Is it possible to
change this within word so that it is prefixed with '06' instead,
with out changing it in Access? so instead of saying 0512345 it
would say 0612345

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Boots

i didn't. thanks for that. it works now. just out of interest why does
putting the field boundaries in with ctrl +f9 work but doesn't when you put
them in manually?