Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Neil

Default Can I mailmerge using a Word .doc file

I'm a newbie. I've been trying to do a mailmerge using a Word .doc file which
has a list of addresses separated by hard returns (see example below). My
various attempts have failed. Can I do a mailmerge with a Word .doc file and
if so, can someone give me step by step instructions. Thanks to anyone who
can help.

John Public
1111 Melody Lane
Silver Spring, MD

Jane Public
2222 Evans Drive
Bethesda, MD
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

If you select all of the addresses and then select Convert Text to Table
from the Tables menu selecting the Paragraphs as the separator and each
address ends up in a separate cell of the table, all you need to do then is
insert a row at the top of the table into which you insert a field name to
be used when you set up the mail merge.

See "Convert Labels into Mail Merge Data File" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

See the article "Mailmerge Labels with Word XP" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Neil" wrote in message
news
I'm a newbie. I've been trying to do a mailmerge using a Word .doc file
which
has a list of addresses separated by hard returns (see example below). My
various attempts have failed. Can I do a mailmerge with a Word .doc file
and
if so, can someone give me step by step instructions. Thanks to anyone who
can help.

John Public
1111 Melody Lane
Silver Spring, MD

Jane Public
2222 Evans Drive
Bethesda, MD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Neil

It still didnt work. I converted the document so I now have a table with one
column and many rows. There are 3 rows for each address (name, street, city)
and a blank row between the each address. Heres what happens when I open a
blank document and run the mailmerge wizard:

Step 1: I bullet envelopes

Step 2: I OK size 10 envelope with return address in the upper left hand
corner and move the cursor to where I want the addresses (I previously set up
the return address)

Step 3: I select the file with the table which now brings up a €śMailmerge
Recipients€ť window with a table similar to the one I created (one column, 3
rows for each address and a blank row between addresses) with a check mark to
the left of each row including the blank ones.

Step 4: I choose €śAddress Block€ť which brings up an €śInsert Address Block€ť
window. I click OK and AddressBlock now pops up where I left the cursor
for the addresses.

Step 5: Nothing now appears on the envelope except for the return address.
The AddressBlock code is now gone. As I click to preview each next
address, they are all blank as well (except for the return address).

Step 6: No change.

I apologize for being so green but the instructions in Word arent much help
and the link regarding labels just confused me more. Thanks so much for your
time.

Neil

P.S. The reason my first message was posted 3 times was the first two times
I got an error message and assumed the post did not go through. I am,
however, impatient. Thanks again.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

If you select all of the addresses and then select Convert Text to Table
from the Tables menu selecting the Paragraphs as the separator and each
address ends up in a separate cell of the table, all you need to do then is
insert a row at the top of the table into which you insert a field name to
be used when you set up the mail merge.

See "Convert Labels into Mail Merge Data File" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

See the article "Mailmerge Labels with Word XP" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Neil" wrote in message
news
I'm a newbie. I've been trying to do a mailmerge using a Word .doc file
which
has a list of addresses separated by hard returns (see example below). My
various attempts have failed. Can I do a mailmerge with a Word .doc file
and
if so, can someone give me step by step instructions. Thanks to anyone who
can help.

John Public
1111 Melody Lane
Silver Spring, MD

Jane Public
2222 Evans Drive
Bethesda, MD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Then you will have to follow the method in the article:

--

"Neil" wrote in message
It still didn't work. I converted the document so I now have a table with
one
column and many rows. There are 3 rows for each address (name, street,
city)
and a blank row between the each address. Here's what happens when I open
blank document and run the mailmerge wizard:

Step 1: I bullet envelopes

Step 2: I OK size 10 envelope with return address in the upper left hand
corner and move the cursor to where I want the addresses (I previously set
up
the return address)

Step 3: I select the file with the table which now brings up a "Mailmerge
Recipients" window with a table similar to the one I created (one column,
3
rows for each address and a blank row between addresses) with a check mark
the left of each row including the blank ones.

Step 4: I choose "Address Block" which brings up an "Insert Address Block"

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

If you select all of the addresses and then select Convert Text to Table
from the Tables menu selecting the Paragraphs as the separator and each
address ends up in a separate cell of the table, all you need to do then
is
insert a row at the top of the table into which you insert a field name
be used when you set up the mail merge.

See "Convert Labels into Mail Merge Data File" on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's
website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

See the article "Mailmerge Labels with Word XP" on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Neil" wrote in message
news
I'm a newbie. I've been trying to do a mailmerge using a Word .doc file
which
has a list of addresses separated by hard returns (see example below).
My
various attempts have failed. Can I do a mailmerge with a Word .doc
file
and
if so, can someone give me step by step instructions. Thanks to anyone
who
can help.

John Public
1111 Melody Lane
Silver Spring, MD

Jane Public
2222 Evans Drive
Bethesda, MD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

When you convert text to table indicate in the dialog that the table has 4
columns and not 1!

Neil wrote:
[...]

Block" window. I click OK and AddressBlock now pops up where I

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

If you select all of the addresses and then select Convert Text to
Table from the Tables menu selecting the Paragraphs as the separator
and each address ends up in a separate cell of the table, all you
need to do then is insert a row at the top of the table into which
you insert a field name to be used when you set up the mail merge.

See "Convert Labels into Mail Merge Data File" on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

See the article "Mailmerge Labels with Word XP" on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP