Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
ML

Default Copying text and fields from one location in a document to another?

I need to be able to copy a block of text from one portion to another in a
document automatically along with any associated field codes. I am
currently doing this via a bookmark except the copied text does not include
the underlying filed codes, just the pure text. Is there another way to
reference text in a document and have it copied to another location in full,
text and fields?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

If you are copying and pasting in Word format, that is, not as
unformatted text, field codes should be included. However, you may
have to update the field to see its current value.

To update a field, select it and press F9. To update all fields at
once, press Ctrl+A to select the entire document and then press F9.

Note that if you are duplicating information via a cross-reference or
a manually inserted REF field, the value of any fields included in the
bookmark will be displayed, not the actual field. Usually, this is
also what you want. If you want a "live" field, you'll have to either
insert it again or insert a copy of it (as described above).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ML" wrote in message ...
I need to be able to copy a block of text from one portion to

another in a
document automatically along with any associated field codes. I am
currently doing this via a bookmark except the copied text does not

include
the underlying filed codes, just the pure text. Is there another

way to
reference text in a document and have it copied to another location

in full,
text and fields?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
ML

Ok thanks. This is a referenced field not a copy and paste so sounds as if
it is not possible.
I need to copy text and fields as the field contains a security marker used
by the header to set the page security level.

"ML" wrote in message ...
I need to be able to copy a block of text from one portion to

another in a
document automatically along with any associated field codes. I am
currently doing this via a bookmark except the copied text does not

include
the underlying filed codes, just the pure text. Is there another

way to
reference text in a document and have it copied to another location

in full,
text and fields?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Charles Kenyon

From the FAQ

19. How can I enter something once in a document and have it repeat
elsewhere?
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"ML" wrote in message
I need to be able to copy a block of text from one portion to another in a
document automatically along with any associated field codes. I am
currently doing this via a bookmark except the copied text does not include
the underlying filed codes, just the pure text. Is there another way to
reference text in a document and have it copied to another location in
full, text and fields?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

If the number in the header has a unique style applied you can
reference it in the body of the document with a StyleRef field.

If you need something fancier, try performing a search at
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en (Google groups,

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ML" wrote in message

I need to be able to copy a block of text from one portion to

another in a
document automatically along with any associated field codes. I

am
currently doing this via a bookmark except the copied text does

not
include
the underlying filed codes, just the pure text. Is there another

way to
reference text in a document and have it copied to another

location
in full,
text and fields?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
ML

Style Ref does same thing as normal ref, only copies text. And thanks yes I
know how to use Google.

"ML" wrote in message

I need to be able to copy a block of text from one portion to
another in a
document automatically along with any associated field codes. I

am
currently doing this via a bookmark except the copied text does

not
include
the underlying filed codes, just the pure text. Is there another
way to
reference text in a document and have it copied to another

location
in full,
text and fields?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
ML

Thanks. Issue is it only copies the text and I need to copy the associated
text and any fields that might be contained within the block.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
From the FAQ

"ML" wrote in message
I need to be able to copy a block of text from one portion to another in a
document automatically along with any associated field codes. I am
currently doing this via a bookmark except the copied text does not
include the underlying filed codes, just the pure text. Is there another
way to reference text in a document and have it copied to another location
in full, text and fields?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

"ML" wrote in message ...
Style Ref does same thing as normal ref, only copies text.

True. (It is a bit more convenient to use, though, since it can be
used to display the current value, whatever that is. With Ref fields
you need a bookmark for each new contents.)

Why do you need to duplicate the field? What kind of field are we
talking about?

Actually, I suspect that *exactly* what you are thinking of cannot be
done in Word. Older replies on the topic at google suggests this. But
perhaps something similar can be done with the assistance a macro.
Have you considered asking in a programming newsgroup?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

ML wrote:
Thanks. Issue is it only copies the text and I need to copy the associated
text and any fields that might be contained within the block.

Maybe you'd like to create an AutoText (manually or programmatically)
for your "block" and insert that everywhere in your document where you
need it?

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
ML

No, this is text entered by the user and is unique to each document created
from the template, basically I need to copy an abstract to another section
of the document.