Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Helen Helen is offline

Default Word 2003 - Space "before" in cells

Hello,

I'm just checking: am I wrong to assume that yes, even though you use the
same font, same border style, same everything in a table, that it can
suddenly happen that the space before in cells can be a bit wider that the
space in all cells above?

Thank you.

Helene
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Yes,
1. You can apply the Paragraph format of Space Before (and Space After) to
individual cells in a table.
2. You can alter the cell margins (specifically the Top margin) for
individual cells via the Cell Options dialog, found under Table Properties,
Cell, Options. This method does not affect the Style that is applied to the
cell, sometimes a good thing ;-)
Also you can affect the Row height and appearance by changing the following:
3. Row Height can be set to a specific measurement.
4. Paragraph fomat, Line Spacing can affect the spacing.
Any more?

Hope this helps
DeanH

"Helen" wrote:

Hello,

I'm just checking: am I wrong to assume that yes, even though you use the
same font, same border style, same everything in a table, that it can
suddenly happen that the space before in cells can be a bit wider that the
space in all cells above?

Thank you.

Helene

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Helen Helen is offline

Hello Dean,

Thank you for your reply. However, this has all been done. And,
unfortunately, there is still extra space that's added at some point in the
table (that covers at least 8 pages).

Anymore ideas?

Thank you!

"Helen" wrote:

Hello,

I'm just checking: am I wrong to assume that yes, even though you use the
same font, same border style, same everything in a table, that it can
suddenly happen that the space before in cells can be a bit wider that the
space in all cells above?

Thank you.

Helene

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dom5smom Dom5smom is offline

Have you gone into the paragraph format to make sure that there really is
extra space? I have had all kinds of strange occurances on screen that
really do not exist since upgrading to 2007. In my forms, fields do not show
up, but if I do a print preview they actually have generated, etc.

If you find that, in fact, your rows have morphed to have larger spaces,
there is good news in that you can just highlight the entire table,
regardless of how many pages, and change the spacing back to the desired
settings.

Good luck to you!

"Helen" wrote:

Hello,

I'm just checking: am I wrong to assume that yes, even though you use the
same font, same border style, same everything in a table, that it can
suddenly happen that the space before in cells can be a bit wider that the
space in all cells above?

Thank you.

Helene

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Helen.
Two other things to check.
1. Select the whole table, Table Properties, Row tab, I would uncheck the
Specify height box (even if it is not clearly ticked, if it is grey, that
mean that at least one row somewhere in the table has a specific height
assigned. Clearing this check box (clicking twice possibly) will clear ALL
specified heights in the table.
2. Select the whole table, Table Properties, Cell tab, click on Top for
Vertical alignment. This will set all cells to this setting.

Question; is it only one or a few cells that are affected? What happens if
you enter a new row?
Hope this helps
DeanH