Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] scku@m.kth.se is offline

Default a new caption number changes others

Hello,
I have an almost 200 page document with many figures and tables in it.
I use Word 2002 and create captions using insertreferencecaption and
mark there that caption numbering will follow headings, which I
created using formatbullets and numbering and Words own headings
there.

When I create a figure caption under a certain heading it follows
heading number correctly. But when I put a new caption under a picture
in another heading, it correctly follows the present heading but
changes other captions I already have created. Many captions, if not
all, change according this new caption heading. Many get the same
caption numbering as well. It looks as the new caption "model"
dominates throughout the text.

What do I do wrong here?

Thanks in advance.
AK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

If/when you are trying to modify an existing caption, don't select it, as
doing so will affect existing captions. Instead, delete the incorrect
caption and insert a new one.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Clarification:

If/when you are trying to modify an existing caption, don't select it first,
as doing may affect the other captions using that same label. Instead,

wrote in message

[...]

ASKUR ASKUR is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post

wrote in message

[...]

Hello Stefan,
Thank you.
I do indeed delete the wrong captions and try to insert a new ones. I use two new labels (one for figures and one for tables).
AK
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

You can have only a single "Chapter starts with style" selection for each
caption label. If you select, say, Heading 1 for captions that begin with
Figure, you can choose a different heading for Table, but if you change the
setting for Figure, you change it for all Figure captions. For a workaround
for appendixes, see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html.

If you're saying that you get, say, table captions when you want figure
captions, are you using the Auto Caption feature? If so, that will be the
problem, as it is intended to recognize a certain kind of object to be
captioned, and if all the objects are, say, JPEGs, then you'll get the same
kind of caption (label) each time.

http://word.mvps.org

"ASKUR" wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill;491728 Wrote:
Are you changing the setting of "Chapter starts with style"?

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
...-
[...]

-

Hello Suzanne,
Thank you for your answer.
Each time I put a new caption, I indicate by using "chapter starts with
style". I created two new labels and I use them (as the text is not in
English).
AK

--
ASKUR

ASKUR ASKUR is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post

"ASKUR" wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill;491728 Wrote:
Are you changing the setting of "Chapter starts with style"?

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
...-
[...]

I will put my problem in the simplest possible form: Suppose that I have just two chapters with two headings in my text (one main title and a sub-title under it); Heading 1 and Heading 2.

I place a picture (in line) in the first chapter whose title is defined by "Bullets and numbering" (level 1) and a caption under the picture defining it "chapter starts with Heading 1". I get the caption as Figure 1.1, as expected. Then, I put another picture, this time, in the next chapter starting with sub-title 2, (level 2) and define the new caption again with "starts with Heading 2". This time, I get the caption as Figure 1.1.1, which seems to be correct.

However, as soon as I get the new caption the first caption becomes Figure 1.1.1 as well. The situation is the same if I have the figures in frames or not. Same thing applies if I change the order of captioning.

As I have a relatively long document and a lot of figures the mess is unbearable.

Thanks in advance.

ASKUR
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

A given caption label can only include the numbering of *one* specific
heading. You will have to create a second label to accomplish otherwise.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ASKUR" wrote in message ...

Suzanne S. Barnhill;491737 Wrote:
[...]

"ASKUR" wrote in message
...-

Suzanne S. Barnhill;491728 Wrote:-
Are you changing the setting of "Chapter starts with style"?

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
...-
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Stefan has reiterated what I said before, but I'll emphasize it again: the
label "Figure" can be linked to only one heading style throughout the entire
document. You can link to a different heading style with a caption labeled
"Table" or "Exhibit" or something else, but not "Figure." As I mentioned
before, the article at
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html describes
a workaround, but you should not use this to have different caption format
for specific chapters. All your figure captions should be consistent. The
most common convention is to link the label to Heading 1 (assuming that's
the heading that starts a new chapter), so that the captions in Chapter 1
are 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc., and captions in Chapter 2 are 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.
Further precision than that will just confuse your readers.

Also note that if you're doing this because you're using Heading 1 in
Chapter 1, Heading 2 in Chapter 2, and so on, then you've misunderstood the
way headings and heading numbering are supposed to work. You use Heading 1
for your top-level heading (ordinarily this is the chapter number), Heading
2 for second-level headings, and so on. The easiest way to do this is
usually to select the list template that is shown in the list gallery as 1
Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, 1.1.1 Heading 3. That template is already linked
to the built-in heading styles and has the 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 numbering that is
commonly used.

http://word.mvps.org

"ASKUR" wrote in message

[...]

"ASKUR" wrote in message
...-

Suzanne S. Barnhill;491728 Wrote:-
Are you changing the setting of "Chapter starts with style"?

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
...-
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

To put it differently, Word expects a certain caption label to always
include the numbering of a particular heading level; you can't get it to use
the "current" heading level.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ASKUR" wrote in message

[...]

"ASKUR" wrote in message
...-

Suzanne S. Barnhill;491728 Wrote:-
Are you changing the setting of "Chapter starts with style"?

http://word.mvps.org

...-