tigra1411 tigra1411 is offline
Junior Member

Default Different odd headers within different odd and even; Word 2003

Hello!

I'm trying to set different odd headers after I've already separated my document section-wise and set in each section different 1st page and different odd and even header.
So what I want: to have as every even page header the section's Heading 1 (as a cross-reference) - that-s pretty easy. But I can not manage to set as every odd page header the section Headings 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 (as a cross-reference) and so on, which would be different within one section, depending on where I inserted them.
(I know it should be possible since I have as an example someone's else document with this kind of header settings.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add the current heading, at a particular level, you can make use of a
STYLEREF field in the header. For heading 1, use { STYLEREF 1 }. That'll
be easier than cross-references, because you don't have to create a new
section for each new heading.

Similarly, you can use { STYLEREF 2 } for level 2 headings.

To insert the field(s), you can use Insert | Field.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But if you want whichever heading happens to appear on a page, whether
it's a 1 or a 2, is there any way to do that?

ISTR there is a way to do "dictionary headings," so that the first one
on the left-hand page and the last one on the right-hand page are what
go in the respective running heads -- or was that a FrameMaker feature
that Word doesn't do?

On Nov 8, 4:53*am, Stefan Blom
wrote:
To add the current heading, at a particular level, you can make use of a
STYLEREF field in the header. For heading 1, use { STYLEREF 1 }. That'll
be easier than cross-references, because you don't have to create a new
section for each new heading.

Similarly, you can use { STYLEREF 2 } for level 2 headings.

To insert the field(s), you can use Insert | Field.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To create dictionary headings, you can use two STYLEREFs. Include the \L
switch in the second field (the switch instructs Word to search from the
bottom of the page instead of from the top).

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

However, the \L switch doesn't work if you want to omit a certain
heading completely, for example, because it doesn't appear on the
current page at all.

For that situation, you'd have to "trick" Word by using a character
style (which doesn't actually change the formatting of the text). Have
the STYLEREF point to the character style and apply it to text as
appropriate.

For example, you can make use of that approach if you want Heading 1 in
the left page header and Heading 2 OR Heading 1 (if there is no Heading
2 on the page) in the right page header. Apply the char style to all
Heading 1 paragraphs. Insert { STYLEREF 1 } in the left page header.
Insert { STYLEREF "MyCharStyleNameHere" } in the right page header.
Apply the character style to those Heading 2 paragraphs that you want in
the header.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP