kevinw@acsiwest kevinw@acsiwest is offline
Junior Member

Default Decimal issue for percentage x currency /100

I cannot figure out why my decimal is being messed with for the following mail merge math:
5.375% x $8,213.28 = $441.46 (is what the correct match should be)

My merge fields a
{ Mergefield Interest Rate } x { Mergefield Balance } =
{= { Mergefield Interest Rate } x { Mergefield Balance }/100 \# "$,0.0x"}

the merge results this gives:
5.375% x $8,213.28 = $4.41

as you can see my merge field codes are accurate
5.375% is accurate
$8,213.28 is accurate
but my match operation is messing with the correct result.
PLEASE HELP

I have tried so many different \# mail merge numeric picture switches
I've also rearranged the math operations also enclosing in parenthesis at times, always the same result.

This site being invaluable but I have not been able to solve my problem.
(http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_wor...ounts_in_words)
kevinw@acsiwest kevinw@acsiwest is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw@acsiwest View Post
[...]

I FIGURED IT OUT!

I had to do my math operation percentage /100 first within the { Mergefield interest rate }

My mail merge math operation is now:
{ Mergefield Interest Rate } x { Mergefield Balance } =
{ ({Mergefield Interest Rate /100} * { Mergefield Balance } \# "$,0.0x" }

result is
5.375% x $8,213.28 = $441.46

essentially basic math rule: convert percentage to decimal first.