Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lesli818 Lesli818 is offline

Default How do I unlock Word 2007?

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What happens if you rename the Normal template (normal.dotm), with Word
closed, and then start Word again?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

And for more trouble-shooting steps, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is this a trial copy that has expired?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Lesli818" wrote in message
I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is
registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lesli818" wrote:

That worked, thank you.

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
0000 0000 is offline

i have had the same problem but it still does not work. (i have not
downloaded word 2007 it was aready on my pc)

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Then it was a trial version supplied by the PC manufacturer. The trial has
now expired - time to pay the piper.

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason,
it's not working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all.
When I try to, the message reads, "This modification is not allowed
because the selection is locked". I cannot open anything else in
Word Options besides the resources tab, and when I click, activate,
it tells me that I have already activated the program. I cannot do
anything, even though my copy of Word is registered and activated.
I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Inna Inna is offline

Hey, I got the same problem. You need to know Product key. It's a 25 letters.
I really need these keys too. Just try to find them online, like I am doing
right now. Good luck!

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
k10mil k10mil is offline

Hello,
I've learned that I did have the trial version of MS Office. So I purchased
a it again and have installed it. Word 2007 is still locked with the
notification that the selection is locked. Actually all my documents are
locked. I saw the earlier post about changing the template, but I don't know
how to do that (sorry, I was only computer literate when I was dating a
computer nerd Please help!!
--
k10mil

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason,
it's not working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all.
When I try to, the message reads, "This modification is not allowed
because the selection is locked". I cannot open anything else in
Word Options besides the resources tab, and when I click, activate,
it tells me that I have already activated the program. I cannot do
anything, even though my copy of Word is registered and activated.
I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Purchased it *again*? The trial is free and you only get one trial. The full
version of Office will cost upwards of $100.
Once installed, you must activate it from the resources tab of Word Options.

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason,
it's not working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all.
When I try to, the message reads, "This modification is not
allowed because the selection is locked". I cannot open anything
else in Word Options besides the resources tab, and when I click,
activate, it tells me that I have already activated the program.
I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
k10mil k10mil is offline

To clarify, I bought a new copy of Office from Costoco (best price I could
find). At any rate, the new product key worked and I've activated Office but
my documents are still locked.
--
k10mil

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason,
it's not working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all.
When I try to, the message reads, "This modification is not
allowed because the selection is locked". I cannot open anything
else in Word Options besides the resources tab, and when I click,
activate, it tells me that I have already activated the program.
I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dani Dani is offline

okay so I purchased word 2007 but now the whole program is locked. I do not
use templates so I cannot rename it, what do i do??? I need help because this
document is due tonight for school!!!!

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Did you activate Word/Office? If not, do so.

For trouble-shooting, see

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's
not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to,
the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection
is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the
resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already
activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is
registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jennifer jennifer is offline

Hi, I have the same problem but i triedd ur way and it doesnt work. Please
reply to me asap! I need it for my projects ! Thank youss !

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you sure that Word has been activated, and that you are not using an
expired trial version?

Also, what happens if you start Word in safe mode (hold the Ctrl key as you
start the application)?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's
not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to,
the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection
is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the
resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already
activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is
registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Debbie Debbie is offline

I just got my computer 2 days ago - my trial copy just started. If I start
in safe mode, is that going to fix the problem? All of my documents are
locked - I can't make changes to anything.

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's
not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to,
the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection
is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the
resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already
activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is
registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy Cindy is offline

Hello,

I need your help because when I try to type anything on Microsoft Word the
text will not show up on the blank document and at the bottom it says "This
modification is not allowed because the selection is locked". I would please
like your help.

Thanks,
Cindy

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lesli818" wrote:

That worked, thank you.

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

How can you do what? Did you click on that link and read that page?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Amira" wrote in message
how can I do that?

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's
not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try
to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the
selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the
resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already
activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is
registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tyiasha Tyiasha is offline

Please help me to unlock it.

"Lesli818" wrote:

That worked, thank you.

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If your copy of Word is a full version, properly activated, chances are that
renaming the Normal template will fix the issue. If you need help finding
the Normal template, you can search for it in Windows (be sure to search
hidden files and folders). See also
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...alTemplate.htm (note
that the Normal template is called normal.dotm in Word 2007 and normal.dot
in older versions).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tyiasha" wrote in message
news
Please help me to unlock it.

"Lesli818" wrote:

That worked, thank you.

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's
not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try
to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the
selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the
resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already
activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is
registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message ...
If your copy of Word is a full version, properly activated, chances are
that
renaming the Normal template will fix the issue. If you need help finding
the Normal template, you can search for it in Windows (be sure to search
hidden files and folders). See also
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...alTemplate.htm (note
that the Normal template is called normal.dotm in Word 2007 and normal.dot
in older versions).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tyiasha" wrote in message
news
Please help me to unlock it.

"Lesli818" wrote:

That worked, thank you.

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's
not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try
to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the
selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the
resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already
activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is
registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

noxela noxela is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesli818 View Post
I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Two things could be wrong.
1) You have reached the end of the Microsoft Office 2007 Trial.
When this happens you are not able to edit any documents. You will only be able to view and print your documents.
To fix this you need to buy an office 2007 license from http://office.microsoft.com
2) You are trying to edit a protected document.
Some people protect their documents or parts of their documents from being edited. The only way around this is to get an original copy of the file or the password for the file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RickT RickT is offline

I have a newly installed version of Word 2007 and have been using it without
any problem for a week. All of a sudden I get the message that "this
selection is locked" on all of my existing Word files. What gives?

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to,
the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the
resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already
activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is
registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Did you activate the application?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's
not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to,
the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection
is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the
resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already
activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is
registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Close Word and Outlook. Locate the *hidden* file normal.dot (or for Word
2007 normal.dotm) using Windows Explorer. Select the file. Press F2 (rename)
and rename it to normal.old.
Restart Word.
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason,
it's not working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all.
When I try to, the message reads, "This modification is not
allowed because the selection is locked". I cannot open anything
else in Word Options besides the resources tab, and when I
click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated the
program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is
registered and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
isaac isaac is offline

how can i unlock the freaking selection please tell me its killing me i
really need to edit some stuff to this document it wont let me can u please
tell me please please this is isaa castle i need help

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's not
working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I try to, the
message reads, "This modification is not allowed because the selection is
locked". I cannot open anything else in Word Options besides the resources
tab, and when I click, activate, it tells me that I have already activated
the program. I cannot do anything, even though my copy of Word is registered
and activated. I really need help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you have a trial version of Word 2007 (99.99% of computers supplied with
Word 2007 have trial versions) and it is locked then the trial has expired.
Either buy the application on line from Microsoft, or better still buy the
disc from a reseller.

"Lesli818" wrote:

I have Word 2007 installed on my computer, but for some reason, it's
not working. I am not able to type or edit anything at all. When I
try to, the message reads, "This modification is not allowed because
the selection is locked". I cannot open anything else in Word
Options besides the resources tab, and when I click, activate, it
tells me that I have already activated the program. I cannot do
anything, even though my copy of Word is registered and activated. I
really need help!!!!

How do I unlock a legacy form in Word 2007? Dorothy M F Microsoft Word Help 4 July 10th 07 01:52 AM
Unlock Word documents and unlock toolbar Alexander Microsoft Word Help 0 September 25th 06 07:38 PM
Unlock WORD XP Jack New Users 3 June 13th 06 07:07 AM
how do i unlock word kt Microsoft Word Help 3 March 23rd 06 05:06 PM
unlock doc . Ms Word Len New Users 1 October 17th 05 05:52 PM