Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Angela Angela is offline

Default I cannot save in Word 2007

When creating a new document and trying to save it (everyway possible) it
freezes and says not responding and then shuts down, every time.
I've done updates, scans and many different things I have found on the
website?

Anyhelp? I need this for school (I go to school full time online and this is
a neccessity!)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Angela" wrote:

When creating a new document and trying to save it (everyway possible) it
freezes and says not responding and then shuts down, every time.
I've done updates, scans and many different things I have found on the
website?

Anyhelp? I need this for school (I go to school full time online and this is
a neccessity!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobfromCA BobfromCA is offline

I was having the exact problem. Was ready to try reinstall... then tried this
from another thread:

In Word 2000 and above, you can sometimes fix this simply by clicking the
Start button in the bottom left of your screen, selecting Run, and typing:
winword.exe /a. (You may need to specify the full path although you probably
won't.) When using the /a switch in Word 2000 and higher, certain problems
with the Data key in the registry trigger a repair utility, and this utility
then automatically rebuilds the corrupt values. Such problems appear to be
strictly limited to bad settings in the Toolbars value, and the toolbar
settings have to be completely out of the range of €śacceptable€ť values for
this self-repair procedure to be triggered; so mild corruption would not
usually be fixed by it.

I just ran "winword.exe /a" from Start - Run and now I can save my files
without a freeze-up! Hope this works for you.

"Angela" wrote:

When creating a new document and trying to save it (everyway possible) it
freezes and says not responding and then shuts down, every time.
I've done updates, scans and many different things I have found on the
website?

Anyhelp? I need this for school (I go to school full time online and this is
a neccessity!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobfromCA BobfromCA is offline

Forget my earlier post... I'm back to square one... Office (and Excel) still
freezes on me when saving file. Worked for a while yesterday... which
indicated to me there is a program conflict somewhere (not an install
problem). Now to figure out what went right yesterday and wrong last night
(before a reboot - which indicates it isn't a program loaded during boot
causing problem).

Very frustrating!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobfromCA BobfromCA is offline

Yes... I did go through steps on that page. I will do again just in case I
missed something. All paths seem correct in reg.. Word/Excel will open
(doesn't crash) and I can work in them... but when I go to save - program
freezes. (running XP PRO SP2) No error message. I click "x" to close. It
forces a close.

For some reason, the other day - for most of the day - both programs worked
fine (after starting with winword.exe /a). I am going to uninstall and
reinstall this weekend. Thanks for your reply.

"BobfromCA" wrote in message
Forget my earlier post... I'm back to square one... Office (and Excel)
still
freezes on me when saving file. Worked for a while yesterday... which
indicated to me there is a program conflict somewhere (not an install
problem). Now to figure out what went right yesterday and wrong last night
(before a reboot - which indicates it isn't a program loaded during boot
causing problem).

Very frustrating!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that winword /a is merely a step in the trouble-shooting process; it
usually does not permanently fix any problems.

Also, uninstalling and reinstalling usually does not help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP