Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbara White Barbara White is offline

Default Input Needed: Word 2007 & Added Bibliography Support

I'm on the verge of learning Endnote. However, in an Office 2007 manual,
I read an optimistic review of the new bibliography support that's
provided in Word 2007. I wonder if anyone's used this new Word feature
yet and has input to offer. I'm particularly interested in reading about
any studies that compare/contrast of this feature to Endnote. If you
know of such an effort or have experience with either/both tools, please
let me know.

Questions that come to mind:

Is it possible (and easy) to create unique citation/bib styles? (For
example, if I want to use a corporate format for the citation and bib
entry, can those be defined?)

Is it easy to share content on a network? (In other words, can I create
a bib and add that to some central bib so that others can use/reuse it?
What happens to bib entries when you disconnect from the network after
you use a networked bib source to add citations/entries into a document?)

I imagine that Endnote is ultimately more powerful than this new Word
feature. (For example, I think I read that the Word bib tool doesn't
have a field for adding Abstracts.) Do you know of some useful thing in
particular that you can accomplish in Endnote that you cannot do in Word?

Does this tool appear to be stable? I've read a lot about Word's Master
Document feature and in all of the years that I've used Word, I've
avoided that feature because of its awful reputation. So sometimes a
feature is included in a tool like Word but the feature is wonky or
awkward...does that seem to be the case with this new bib package?

Lastly, what about the learning curve for the type of Word user who
formats everything in Normal? (A lot of our users tend to do this--they
take shortcuts to managing their complex documents. Is this bib feature
something that they can break easily or bypass/override completely?)

Thanks for any information/pointers/tips.