Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Uriel

Default Another 2003 Degradation -- ruler reappearance

I keep unchecking View:Ruler.

Word 2003, disapproving my preference, keeps re-checking it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Ruler viewing could be set in normal.dot which is the template for
new docs. Do a search for normal.dot (it is in a hidden folder so you
must set search criteria to search in hidden folders) and remove the
ruler view.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Uriel

That's not it.

Also, normal.dot is not in a hidden folder.

wrote in message
ups.com...
The Ruler viewing could be set in normal.dot which is the template for
new docs. Do a search for normal.dot (it is in a hidden folder so you
must set search criteria to search in hidden folders) and remove the
ruler view.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

There are a number of things that can cause settings to not 'stick', including add-ins (Adobe Acrobat v7 unless updated to 7.0.5,
for example), registry key corruption for Word settings, left over temp files and Office policy settings, or a corrupted Normal.dot
template.

One article on some of things to check is this one
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291484/en-us?FR=1

===========

--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Uriel

Uh, what am I missing here?

I'm running Win XP (Home). The folder identified at Tools:Options:File
Locations as being for "User templates" is NOT hidden.

Perhaps by *default*, just after installing Word, it's a hidden folder. Is
that what you mean?

"Uriel" wrote in message
That's not it.

Also, normal.dot is not in a hidden folder.

wrote in message
ups.com...
The Ruler viewing could be set in normal.dot which is the template for
new docs. Do a search for normal.dot (it is in a hidden folder so you
must set search criteria to search in hidden folders) and remove the
ruler view.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Uriel

Thanks, I'll check that ......

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...

"Uriel" wrote in message
That's not it.

Also, normal.dot is not in a hidden folder.
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you have Hidden and System files and folders displayed? In that case you
would see it, anyway. I can't testify to this, since I'm running Windows
2000, but many users have stated that that folder is hidden.

"Uriel" wrote in message
Uh, what am I missing here?

I'm running Win XP (Home). The folder identified at Tools:Options:File
Locations as being for "User templates" is NOT hidden.

Perhaps by *default*, just after installing Word, it's a hidden folder. Is
that what you mean?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Normal.dot is in a hidden folder if you're running Windows XP.

so
all may benefit.

"Uriel" wrote in message
That's not it.

Also, normal.dot is not in a hidden folder.

wrote in message
ups.com...
The Ruler viewing could be set in normal.dot which is the template for
new docs. Do a search for normal.dot (it is in a hidden folder so you
must set search criteria to search in hidden folders) and remove the
ruler view.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Uriel

One article on some of things to check is this one:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291484/en-us?FR=1

That article is entitled: "Your toolbars are missing, your menu bar is
missing, or your personalized settings are not retained when you start
Word."

But that's not the case here. The ruler reappears without my closing the
Word app. (In other words, within a single Word session.) Actually, I don't
often close Word, just as I don't often shutdown Windows (using Standby
instead).

Also, this has happened without Acrobat being opened (a tool I use rarely).
And I haven't done anything that would be an obvious way to corrupt Word.
(Is there a way to tell Word, "check if you're corrupt?")

Of course if there's a long list of things that can cause this problem I
can't verify that nothing in the list applies. But why are Word settings so
vulnerable?

"Uriel" wrote in message
That's not it.

Also, normal.dot is not in a hidden folder.
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What I have found about ruler display (and other display settings in Word)
is that they appear to be window-dependent. This was not an issue in MDI
because all documents opened in the same window, but with SDI, the display
is dependent on the settings in the window from which the document is opened
or created. Even though the ruler is displayed in Document 1, it may
disappear when I create a Document 2 and be missing in any other documents I
open in addition to Document 1 (that is, documents that are putatively
opened in the Document 2 window). It's very puzzling, and the only way to
assure a consistent UI seems to be a set AutoExec, AutoOpen, and AutoNew
macros to enforce the desired display.

"Uriel" wrote in message
That's not it.

Also, normal.dot is not in a hidden folder.
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Uriel

Well, that's not good news, but it is news. Thanks again Suzanne.

Incidentally, this wasn't a prob in Word 2000 (which is also SDI style).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
What I have found about ruler display (and other display settings in Word)
is that they appear to be window-dependent. This was not an issue in MDI
because all documents opened in the same window, but with SDI, the display
is dependent on the settings in the window from which the document is opened
or created. Even though the ruler is displayed in Document 1, it may
disappear when I create a Document 2 and be missing in any other documents I
open in addition to Document 1 (that is, documents that are putatively
opened in the Document 2 window). It's very puzzling, and the only way to
assure a consistent UI seems to be a set AutoExec, AutoOpen, and AutoNew
macros to enforce the desired display.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Uriel

Incidentally, why do you call the current style SDI?

The one and only difference from the MDI of yore is that now, each document
is a separate task in the Windows task list.

So really, it's as "multiple" as it ever was. You can have any number of
windows listed on the Window submenu, and switch among them.

"Uriel" wrote in message
That's not it.

Also, normal.dot is not in a hidden folder.
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

*I* do not call it that; that's Microsoft's terminology. In SDI
(single-document interface), each document gets its own separate window,
with its own toolbars, window controls, etc. Although the Window menu is
still available, the big change (in Word 2000) was that each document got a
separate Taskbar button. Enough users objected to this that MS found a way
(previously declared impossible*) to allow users to simulate MDI. In
addition, in Windows XP, even documents that would otherwise have separate
Taskbar buttons can (AIUI) be aggregated on a single Taskbar button for
Word.

*See the thread "window title file name."

"Uriel" wrote in message
That's not it.

Also, normal.dot is not in a hidden folder.
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Uriel

*See the thread "window title file name."

I respond in new thread, "SDI / MDI / The struggle for efficiency (NOT the
default)"