DeltaNick

Default Why doesn't 2003 version of Word recognize spellchecking from 200.

Whenever I upgrade to a newer version of MS Word, I have to rerun the
spellcheck on previously-spellchecked documents. It does not automatically
recognize a previous version's completed spellcheck. This is not a problem
for short documents, as they can be spellchecked quickly. But some of my
documents are 800 pages or longer. I must spellcheck the entire document,
which takes hours, literally.

Is there a way to get MS Word 2003 to recognize an already-spellchecked MS
Word 2002 document? This also happened when I updated from MS Word 2000 to MS
Word 2002.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Word has no way to force you to
spell-check your document, and checking spelling does not set any kind of
flag to tell Word that spell checking has been done. If what you mean is
that "Check spelling as you type" is marking as misspelled words that you
have told it to ignore, then this frequently happens even if you just close
and reopen a document.

If you really want Word not to mark them as misspelled, you can either add
them to the dictionary or format them as "Do not check spelling or grammar."
For documents that have already been spell-checked, a quick way to hide
"errors" is to check the box for "Hide spelling errors in this document" on
the Spelling & Grammar tab of Tools | Options.

"DeltaNick" wrote in message
Whenever I upgrade to a newer version of MS Word, I have to rerun the
spellcheck on previously-spellchecked documents. It does not automatically
recognize a previous version's completed spellcheck. This is not a problem
for short documents, as they can be spellchecked quickly. But some of my
documents are 800 pages or longer. I must spellcheck the entire document,
which takes hours, literally.

Is there a way to get MS Word 2003 to recognize an already-spellchecked MS
Word 2002 document? This also happened when I updated from MS Word 2000 to

MS
Word 2002.

DeltaNick

Suzanne,

Word doesn't force you to spellcheck, but it most certainly DOES set a
"flag": At the bottom of the screen, the spellcheck book is marked with a red
checkmark (spellchecked) or re "X" (not spellchecked). When you add to a
previously spellchecked document, only the additional text is spellcheked the
next time you run the spellchecker. However, when upgrading to a new version
of Word, the entire document requires spellchecking: it does NOT recognize
previous spellcheck status.

Rerunning the spellchecker on 500- and 800-page documents will take,
literally, hours per document!!!

I'm surprised that you don't know this. I'm also more than disappointed that
Microsoft does this, since it requires hours upon hours of my time just to
get back to where I previously was. I really hate it each time Microsoft
"upgrades" applications, because it's not really worth it. For a tiny bit of
functionality, I must spend hours and hours figuring it all out (which
defines "downgrade" in my book). And finally, Microsoft's fancy "dissolves"
and "fades" seem to be camouflage for applications that run slower and slower
each time. And don't even get me started on the menus that are changed in
each "upgrade." This really upsets ALL the Microsoft users I know, especially
our help desk IT professionals.

"DeltaNick" wrote in message
Whenever I upgrade to a newer version of MS Word, I have to rerun the
spellcheck on previously-spellchecked documents. It does not automatically
recognize a previous version's completed spellcheck. This is not a problem
for short documents, as they can be spellchecked quickly. But some of my
documents are 800 pages or longer. I must spellcheck the entire document,
which takes hours, literally.

Is there a way to get MS Word 2003 to recognize an already-spellchecked MS
Word 2002 document? This also happened when I updated from MS Word 2000 to

MS
Word 2002.

Again I would suggest that you post in
microsoft.public.word.spelling.grammar.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"DeltaNick" wrote in message
Whenever I upgrade to a newer version of MS Word, I have to rerun the
spellcheck on previously-spellchecked documents. It does not

automatically
recognize a previous version's completed spellcheck. This is not a

problem
for short documents, as they can be spellchecked quickly. But some of

my
documents are 800 pages or longer. I must spellcheck the entire

document,
which takes hours, literally.

Is there a way to get MS Word 2003 to recognize an

already-spellchecked MS
Word 2002 document? This also happened when I updated from MS Word

MS
Word 2002.

DeltaNick

Typical Microsoft response, focused on discouraging the paying customer from
receiving any real support, using the "bait and switch."

This is UNsatisfactory

"DeltaNick" wrote in message
Whenever I upgrade to a newer version of MS Word, I have to rerun the
spellcheck on previously-spellchecked documents. It does not

automatically
recognize a previous version's completed spellcheck. This is not a

problem
for short documents, as they can be spellchecked quickly. But some of

my
documents are 800 pages or longer. I must spellcheck the entire

document,
which takes hours, literally.

Is there a way to get MS Word 2003 to recognize an

already-spellchecked MS
Word 2002 document? This also happened when I updated from MS Word

MS
Word 2002.

DeltaNick

I don't understand: what is the URL?

You haven't even given me THIS information! Please be specific, as switching
su to new locations, then not telling us those locations, is another method
of discouraging us from receiving any genuine support, after we've paid
hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for Microsoft's software.

I need the URL.

"DeltaNick" wrote in message
Whenever I upgrade to a newer version of MS Word, I have to rerun the
spellcheck on previously-spellchecked documents. It does not automatically
recognize a previous version's completed spellcheck. This is not a problem
for short documents, as they can be spellchecked quickly. But some of my
documents are 800 pages or longer. I must spellcheck the entire document,
which takes hours, literally.

Is there a way to get MS Word 2003 to recognize an already-spellchecked MS
Word 2002 document? This also happened when I updated from MS Word 2000 to

MS
Word 2002.

Charles Kenyon

No one responding here works for Microsoft. Every person answering questions
here will agree with you that Word is a flawed product. Suzanne is trying to
tell you that the people who know the most about the spelling checker read
and respond to posts in the spellinggrammar newsgroup, not here. You are
welcome to ask your pediatrician about Alzheimer's but you might get better
information from someone who specializes in geriatric medicine instead.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Again I would suggest that you post in
microsoft.public.word.spelling.grammar.

so
all may benefit.

"DeltaNick" wrote in message
Whenever I upgrade to a newer version of MS Word, I have to rerun
the
spellcheck on previously-spellchecked documents. It does not

automatically
recognize a previous version's completed spellcheck. This is not a

problem
for short documents, as they can be spellchecked quickly. But some
of

my
documents are 800 pages or longer. I must spellcheck the entire

document,
which takes hours, literally.

Is there a way to get MS Word 2003 to recognize an

already-spellchecked MS
Word 2002 document? This also happened when I updated from MS Word

MS
Word 2002.

Once again you seem to have replied to the wrong message. I assume you're
referring to the spelling.grammar newsgroup. I don't have the URL offhand
because I access these NGs via NNTP (using Outlook Express) rather than
through the Web portal you are using. You can do the same by clicking on
this URL: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...elling.grammar

Or you can continue to confuse yourself with the Web interface by going to
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

"DeltaNick" wrote in message
Whenever I upgrade to a newer version of MS Word, I have to rerun the
spellcheck on previously-spellchecked documents. It does not

automatically
recognize a previous version's completed spellcheck. This is not a

problem
for short documents, as they can be spellchecked quickly. But some of

my
documents are 800 pages or longer. I must spellcheck the entire

document,
which takes hours, literally.

Is there a way to get MS Word 2003 to recognize an

already-spellchecked MS
Word 2002 document? This also happened when I updated from MS Word

MS
Word 2002.

DeltaNick

Okay, got it. By your titles, "MVP," I thought you all were some kind of
Jedis officially knighted by Bill Gates. I didn't WANT to upgrade, but I work
for the government. I have 2003 at work, and 2002 at home. The decision to
upgrade is made way above the heads of our local help desk, and we're never
consulted at all. This Microsoft interface -- and I've been on the Internet
since it was the ARPANet -- is more complicated than anyone else's. Sure it's
not done this way on purpose to discourage users attempting to get some
insight?

"DeltaNick" wrote in message
Whenever I upgrade to a newer version of MS Word, I have to rerun the
spellcheck on previously-spellchecked documents. It does not

automatically
recognize a previous version's completed spellcheck. This is not a

problem
for short documents, as they can be spellchecked quickly. But some of

my
documents are 800 pages or longer. I must spellcheck the entire

document,
which takes hours, literally.

Is there a way to get MS Word 2003 to recognize an

already-spellchecked MS
Word 2002 document? This also happened when I updated from MS Word

MS
Word 2002.

Well, if you've been online that long, I would think you would be more
comfortable using Usenet! Actually, the Web interface to the NGs is an
initiative designed to accommodate users who (a) *don't* have any experience
with Usenet or newsreaders (but are comfortable with Web interfaces) or (b)
work in corporations whose networks block access to Usenet.

In addition, Microsoft software is increasingly being integrated with online
"User Assistance," which includes the MSKB, tutorials, additional Help
topics, and the newsgroups. In Word 2003, if you have online Help enabled,
when you search for something in Help and don't find it, you will be
directed to online forms that will (theoretically) connect you to existing
articles about the subject. If there are none (or none can be determined
from the search terms you've used), then you have the option to "Get help
from other users," which points you to the Office Communities.

The Web interface is very much a work in progress. It is constantly being
tweaked to improve the taxonomy of the NG lists and the entire experience.
Among the improvements that have been made since its inception are these:

1. Authentication required for posts to cut down on spam and abusive posts.

2. Ability to get notification when your post has been answered.

3. "Suggestion to Microsoft" feature.

4. Option to rate posts.

5. Blocking of attachments (this has reduced attachments in the NGs to
virtually zero, since most other Web interfaces also block them).

6. Many others that I'm probably forgetting.

An NNTP newsreader still offers the most efficient access to NGs, though; it
is much faster (especially on dial-up), and it permits users to see all the
posts in a NG in a single window, without having to page through countless
pages of messages. Although the search feature in the Web interface has been
improved, Outlook Express and other newsreaders are still better and faster,
and newsreaders offer better sorting, display, and handling options.

For more on the MVP Program, see http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/. For more
on the Word MVPs, see http://word.mvps.org/AboutMVPs/index.htm

"DeltaNick" wrote in message
Whenever I upgrade to a newer version of MS Word, I have to rerun

the
spellcheck on previously-spellchecked documents. It does not

automatically
recognize a previous version's completed spellcheck. This is not a

problem
for short documents, as they can be spellchecked quickly. But some

of
my
documents are 800 pages or longer. I must spellcheck the entire

document,
which takes hours, literally.

Is there a way to get MS Word 2003 to recognize an

already-spellchecked MS
Word 2002 document? This also happened when I updated from MS Word

MS
Word 2002.

DeltaNick

Ugh! Sorry to bother you. I'm trying to get some answers to a problem I have
with MS software. This method is about as easy as climbing Mt. Everest. I
think MS can make it much easier, but I don't see a desire to do so on the
part of MS.

"DeltaNick" wrote in message
Whenever I upgrade to a newer version of MS Word, I have to rerun

the
spellcheck on previously-spellchecked documents. It does not
automatically
recognize a previous version's completed spellcheck. This is not a
problem
for short documents, as they can be spellchecked quickly. But some

of
my
documents are 800 pages or longer. I must spellcheck the entire
document,
which takes hours, literally.

Is there a way to get MS Word 2003 to recognize an
already-spellchecked MS
Word 2002 document? This also happened when I updated from MS Word
MS
Word 2002.

DeltaNick

Exactly, and I don't either. But I'm a US government employee, so I am
subjected to these "upgrades," -- they are really downgrades, because
functionality improvements are minimal, yet acclimation is a long-term and
painful process, no thanks to Microsoft, resulting in a great loss in
productivity -- like it or not. And now you've discovered the crux of my
problem: I have MS Word 2003 at work, and MS Word 2002 at home. And the
spellcheck function does not appear to be compatible! So, will you blame me
if I sometimes feel forced into "upgrading" at home, merely to remain
compatible with my workplace? I certainly hope there's a workaround, but I
don't think Microsoft WANTS there to be one, so I wind up feeling compelled
to "upgrade."