Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael

Default Office whill change a word like Mike's to Mike=s why?

All the employee's in my company work from home. For two of us, if we open a
file from someone else. There is always a situation where a word with an
apostrophe s is changed to =S

Mike's documents will be on file for 5 years becomes Mike=s documents will
be on file for five years.

For the two people this happens to we are running Office XP 2002 and 2003.
The other users are on office 2000.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Chances are this is a case of different fonts on different computers.
(Unless this happens only with "Mike's" and not with "Sally's.")
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Michael" wrote in message
All the employee's in my company work from home. For two of us, if we
open a
file from someone else. There is always a situation where a word with an
apostrophe s is changed to =S

Mike's documents will be on file for 5 years becomes Mike=s documents will
be on file for five years.

For the two people this happens to we are running Office XP 2002 and 2003.
The other users are on office 2000.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Rae Drysdale wrote:
Anything to do with Autocorrect?

Since this seems to happen with existing documents (the apostrophe
becomes something different on opening on another installation),
AutoCorrect can't be the culprit (beceause it's only "kicking in" when
you start typing new text).

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This usually happens when a WordPerfect document, in which the WP
Typographic Symbols font was used for apostrophes, quotes, dashes, etc., is
opened on a computer on which this font is not installed. You'd think these
would just be very old WP docs, but for some reason even recent versions of
WP use this archaic method (which originated when WP had its own DOS printer
drivers and printed graphics). About all you can do is use Find and Replace
to replace the inappropriate symbols with the correct ones.

"Michael" wrote in message
All the employee's in my company work from home. For two of us, if we

open a
file from someone else. There is always a situation where a word with an
apostrophe s is changed to =S

Mike's documents will be on file for 5 years becomes Mike=s documents will
be on file for five years.

For the two people this happens to we are running Office XP 2002 and 2003.
The other users are on office 2000.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael

All of your answers are good, but we all use the same font and different
versions of Word. No word perfect in sight. The name that gets changed is
different in every document, but the sentce that the name is in is always the
same sentence.

Thanks for helping....

"Michael" wrote:

All the employee's in my company work from home. For two of us, if we open a
file from someone else. There is always a situation where a word with an
apostrophe s is changed to =S

Mike's documents will be on file for 5 years becomes Mike=s documents will
be on file for five years.

For the two people this happens to we are running Office XP 2002 and 2003.
The other users are on office 2000.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How long have these documents been around? Can you attest that WordPerfect
was never used in the company? Can you verify that the WP Typographic
Symbols font is not installed on any system?

"Michael" wrote:

All the employee's in my company work from home. For two of us, if we

open a
file from someone else. There is always a situation where a word with

an
apostrophe s is changed to =S

Mike's documents will be on file for 5 years becomes Mike=s documents

will
be on file for five years.

For the two people this happens to we are running Office XP 2002 and

2003.
The other users are on office 2000.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael

Suzanne,

WP has been used in the past but is not used now. So those of us that do
not have WP Typograhic are probably the ones getting the errors then correct?
I am fairly certain that this computer has NEVER had wp on it. And even if
it did, the HD is new so its not possible for there to be any remnants of it
either. I will check with the others to see what is going on. I do know
that we use Arrial Narrow as the font for all documents.

Thanks!

Michael

"Michael" wrote:

All the employee's in my company work from home. For two of us, if we

open a
file from someone else. There is always a situation where a word with

an
apostrophe s is changed to =S

Mike's documents will be on file for 5 years becomes Mike=s documents

will
be on file for five years.

For the two people this happens to we are running Office XP 2002 and

2003.
The other users are on office 2000.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

IF the documents (or chunks of them) originated in WordPerfect in the dim
dark past and IF some systems still have WP Typographic Symbols installed
for compatibility and other, newer systems don't, then that would be one
plausible explanation, yes. Given that I have documents in my folders that
still have Compatibility set for Word 2.0, I know how old documents can
persist and be reused, repurposed, and mined for text. The only reason I
don't have any WordPerfect chunks in my documents is that the documents I
created with WP were manuscripts for books long since published and
forgotten, and I no longer have WP installed (but I do have WP Typographic
Symbols). g

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

How long have these documents been around? Can you attest that

WordPerfect
was never used in the company? Can you verify that the WP Typographic
Symbols font is not installed on any system?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Michael" wrote:

All the employee's in my company work from home. For two of us, if

we
open a
file from someone else. There is always a situation where a word

with
an
apostrophe s is changed to =S

Mike's documents will be on file for 5 years becomes Mike=s

documents
will
be on file for five years.

For the two people this happens to we are running Office XP 2002 and

2003.
The other users are on office 2000.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

I also have a similar problem in that whenver I type 'll, Word inserts an a
in front e.g. w'll becomes wa'll, I'll becomes Ia'll. This happens in Word
documents both new and old and also (mainly) in e-mails where Word is the
editor. I have never used Wordperfect.

I have looked in autotext and autocorrect but no such correction exists.
This all statred happening a few months ago but I can't work out a reason for
it. I am using XP pro sp2 and office pro 2003. I'ts not a major problem as
spell check picks it up but it is annoying.

Any thoughts ?

"Michael" wrote:

All the employee's in my company work from home. For two of us, if

we
open a
file from someone else. There is always a situation where a word

with
an
apostrophe s is changed to =S

Mike's documents will be on file for 5 years becomes Mike=s

documents
will
be on file for five years.

For the two people this happens to we are running Office XP 2002 and
2003.
The other users are on office 2000.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Look in Tools | Macro | Macros to see if you have any macros you don't
recognize. It's unlikely you're still using a version of Normal.dot that has
survived from Word 2.0 or 6.0, but those versions contained macros for
inserting "smart quotes" (no AutoCorrect or AutoFormat As You Type in those
versions), and these could be doing bizarre things. Also check the keyboard
selected in Regional Options to make sure it's not an international layout.

"Michael" wrote:

All the employee's in my company work from home. For two of us,

if
we
open a
file from someone else. There is always a situation where a

word
with
an
apostrophe s is changed to =S

Mike's documents will be on file for 5 years becomes Mike=s

documents
will
be on file for five years.

For the two people this happens to we are running Office XP 2002

and
2003.
The other users are on office 2000.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

Dear Suzanne,

Thanks for your reply, I have no macros, the ones I had disappeared a while
ago, possibly at the same time this problem first occurrred. Since then, when
closing Word, I sometimes get prompted to save changes to the normal template
which I don't do as I don't know what to call it. The keyboard is UK English
and the computer is correctly set. I have only ever had Office 2003. none of
the documents here have been created by Wordperfect (I am on a network with
two other colleagues). All very strange.

David

"Michael" wrote:

All the employee's in my company work from home. For two of us,

if
we
open a
file from someone else. There is always a situation where a

word
with
an
apostrophe s is changed to =S

Mike's documents will be on file for 5 years becomes Mike=s
documents
will
be on file for five years.

For the two people this happens to we are running Office XP 2002

and
2003.
The other users are on office 2000.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is very mysterious. I have forgotten whether we have established
whether or not the problem occurs if you start Word in Safe Mode (press Ctrl
while it is loading). That would provide some clues.

"Michael" wrote:

All the employee's in my company work from home. For two of

us,
if
we
open a
file from someone else. There is always a situation where a

word
with
an
apostrophe s is changed to =S

Mike's documents will be on file for 5 years becomes Mike=s
documents
will
be on file for five years.

For the two people this happens to we are running Office XP

2002
and
2003.
The other users are on office 2000.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

Default Word problem

Thanks Suzanne. I have now discovered that this problem only occurs in
Outlook in which Word is my E-mail editor. It doesn't actually happen in Word
documents as such either in safe mode or not. If I start Word in safe mode,
the problem still occurs when writing an e-mail. Ididn't realise this wasn't
happening in Word documents as all my docuements are quite formal and I don't
use 'll !
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You will probably get more insights in an Outlook forum, but check in
Outlook tools options mail format international options and see if
you have Western ISO as the setting.