Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TW TW is offline

Default nomal style show up in Document Map

I have a large document, about 7 MB in .docx. It was converted from .doc.

For some reason, about 9 thound lines that are of Style Normal show up in
Document Map. These lines are not adjacent in the document.

If I select them one by one and set the style to Normal or Clear All it
disappears from Docuement Map and stays so after saving and reopen.

Problem:
If I select all 9 thousand instances by using a drop down list in the Styles
list and then select Clear All or Normal, they disappear from the Document
Map but only to reappear in Document Map after saving and re-open.

Same problem when I use Clear Formatting for all 9 thousand instances by
using the drop down list in the Styles list.

Any help will be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, that's how the Document Map works--there is an explanation and
more tips for prevention and fix he
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/DocumentMap.htm

TW wrote:
I have a large document, about 7 MB in .docx. It was converted from .doc.

For some reason, about 9 thound lines that are of Style Normal show up in
Document Map. These lines are not adjacent in the document.

If I select them one by one and set the style to Normal or Clear All it
disappears from Docuement Map and stays so after saving and reopen.

Problem:
If I select all 9 thousand instances by using a drop down list in the Styles
list and then select Clear All or Normal, they disappear from the Document
Map but only to reappear in Document Map after saving and re-open.

Same problem when I use Clear Formatting for all 9 thousand instances by
using the drop down list in the Styles list.

Any help will be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Select all 9 thousand paragraphs formatted with the Normal style in the
Styles task pane. Change the paragraph formatting setting for outline level
to Body Text (Format, Paragraph, Indents and Spacing tab, Outline Level
drop-down list box). But don't stop there or as you've noted your problem
will reappear when you save the document and reopen it. Apply a built-in
heading style (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.) to a heading somewhere in the
document, preferably at the beginning. Then save the document. When you
reopen the document, your problem should be gone.

The problem typically arises when you start a document with a paragraph
formatted with the default Normal style such as "Title" or in fact almost
anything short of a sentence. It doesn't matter what your AutoFormat As You
Type settings are.

When you first display the document map, Word assumes you're going to use
Heading styles or at least directly apply outline levels 1, 2, etc. Since you
haven't done either, Word applies outline level 1 to that first short
paragraph by direct paragraph formatting (it does not change the definition
of the Normal style). The next paragraph you create by pressing ENTER with
the insertion point within that short paragraph will also be directly
formatted with outline level 1 and so on. Paragraphs created before you first
open the document map that are formatted with the Normal style with still
carry the default Body Text outline level.

"TW" wrote:

I have a large document, about 7 MB in .docx. It was converted from .doc.

For some reason, about 9 thound lines that are of Style Normal show up in
Document Map. These lines are not adjacent in the document.

If I select them one by one and set the style to Normal or Clear All it
disappears from Docuement Map and stays so after saving and reopen.

Problem:
If I select all 9 thousand instances by using a drop down list in the Styles
list and then select Clear All or Normal, they disappear from the Document
Map but only to reappear in Document Map after saving and re-open.

Same problem when I use Clear Formatting for all 9 thousand instances by
using the drop down list in the Styles list.

Any help will be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TW TW is offline

Thank you Aeneas.
Apparently "Apply a built-in heading style (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.) to a
heading somewhere in the document, preferably at the beginning. Then save the
document." is the key for my fix.

I would never have thought of that because I had Heading 1 already. But
apparently creating a new Heading 1 does the trick.

It's fixed. Thanks again.

"TW" wrote:

I have a large document, about 7 MB in .docx. It was converted from .doc.

For some reason, about 9 thound lines that are of Style Normal show up in
Document Map. These lines are not adjacent in the document.

If I select them one by one and set the style to Normal or Clear All it
disappears from Docuement Map and stays so after saving and reopen.

Problem:
If I select all 9 thousand instances by using a drop down list in the Styles
list and then select Clear All or Normal, they disappear from the Document
Map but only to reappear in Document Map after saving and re-open.

Same problem when I use Clear Formatting for all 9 thousand instances by
using the drop down list in the Styles list.

Any help will be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

You're welcome. The Document Map is a powerful navigation feature; I'm glad
you'll be able to continue to use it. You might also find Outline View
extremely helpful for organizing and reorganizing long documents.

"TW" wrote:

I have a large document, about 7 MB in .docx. It was converted from .doc.

For some reason, about 9 thound lines that are of Style Normal show up in
Document Map. These lines are not adjacent in the document.

If I select them one by one and set the style to Normal or Clear All it
disappears from Docuement Map and stays so after saving and reopen.

Problem:
If I select all 9 thousand instances by using a drop down list in the Styles
list and then select Clear All or Normal, they disappear from the Document
Map but only to reappear in Document Map after saving and re-open.

Same problem when I use Clear Formatting for all 9 thousand instances by
using the drop down list in the Styles list.

Any help will be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Aeneas,

Aeneas wrote:
Apply a built-in
heading style (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.) to a heading somewhere in the
document, preferably at the beginning. Then save the document. When you
reopen the document, your problem should be gone.

Is this another way to prevent the Doc Map problem from re-occurring? I
tested this previously, and it didn't work, but Word does seem to be
respecting existing heading styles in more recent versions. Is that
your experience?

Daiya
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Using styles will certainly prevent the direct outline level formatting to
be transferred to new paragraphs as you press Enter (which will happen with
direct formatting). I can't tell for certain (for obvious reasons), but I
think that's what Aeneas was referring to.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
Hi Aeneas,

Aeneas wrote:
Apply a built-in heading style (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.) to a heading
somewhere in the document, preferably at the beginning. Then save the
document. When you reopen the document, your problem should be gone.

Is this another way to prevent the Doc Map problem from re-occurring? I
tested this previously, and it didn't work, but Word does seem to be
respecting existing heading styles in more recent versions. Is that your
experience?

Daiya

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yeah, I couldn't tell either, he talked about carrying a format with
enter--but he recommended applying H1 or H2 as a prevention fix, and his
analysis said the Doc Map applies outline levels *if* it can't find
any. That was certainly not the case when I tested a while back, but it
might be now.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Using styles will certainly prevent the direct outline level formatting to
be transferred to new paragraphs as you press Enter (which will happen with
direct formatting). I can't tell for certain (for obvious reasons), but I
think that's what Aeneas was referring to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

It has prevented the problem from occurring in Word 2007 documents 100% of
the time when I format the first paragraph with a built-in heading style
before I open the Document Map for the first time. The suggestions I made re
selecting all instances of paragraphs formatted with the Normal style and
changing the Outline Level to Body Text, formatting a paragraph (preferably
the 1st with a built-in Heading style), etc. has also worked without
exception on older documents that I've converted to the .docx file format.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Hi Aeneas,

Aeneas wrote:
Apply a built-in
heading style (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.) to a heading somewhere in the
document, preferably at the beginning. Then save the document. When you
reopen the document, your problem should be gone.

Is this another way to prevent the Doc Map problem from re-occurring? I
tested this previously, and it didn't work, but Word does seem to be
respecting existing heading styles in more recent versions. Is that
your experience?

Daiya

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Hi Daiya:

You sound a bit incredulous -- so was I after years of using the Document
Map with no problems but continually reading comments that it was to be
avoided.

Open a new document.
Type "One" or any 2 or 3 word phrase
Press ENTER
type fill in text (say, =rand(2,2)) and press ENTER
(whether the Document Map is displayed or not at this point is irrelevant)
Save the document
Open it
Display Document Map
Note that "One" is included in the Document Map and has outline level 1
applied.

To "propagate" the problem:
Move the IP right before the paragraph mark in the 1st paragraph ("One")
Press ENTER
Type anything (the length is irrelevant at this point)
Note the appearance of each paragraph in which you have just entered text in
the Document Map

I tried it in Word 2003 and got the same results. Please let me know if your
experience is different

Thanks for all your help through the years, especially re long docs, which I
work with every day.

Aeneas

Stefan Blom wrote:
Using styles will certainly prevent the direct outline level formatting to
be transferred to new paragraphs as you press Enter (which will happen with
direct formatting). I can't tell for certain (for obvious reasons), but I
think that's what Aeneas was referring to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

I forgot to mention that the propagation occurs because Word automatically
applied direct paragraph formatting (outline level 1) to the paragraph in
question as you can see if you open the Reveal Formatting task pane. The
definition of the Normal style is unaffected. No AutoFormat as you type
setting seems to have any effect.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Using styles will certainly prevent the direct outline level formatting to
be transferred to new paragraphs as you press Enter (which will happen with
direct formatting). I can't tell for certain (for obvious reasons), but I
think that's what Aeneas was referring to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is actually what I would expect, especially if you don't have "Define
styles based on your formatting" and automatic headings disabled in
AutoFormat As You Type. If you apply Heading 1 style explicitly, then
pressing Enter at the end of the H1 paragraph will (by default) give you a
paragraph in Normal style. Pressing Enter at the beginning of H1 will give
you another H1. All of this is by design.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Using styles will certainly prevent the direct outline level formatting
be transferred to new paragraphs as you press Enter (which will happen
with
direct formatting). I can't tell for certain (for obvious reasons), but
think that's what Aeneas was referring to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

As I stated earlier, the behavior I have recounted happens even when the two
AutoFormat As You Type options you cited have been cleared.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Using styles will certainly prevent the direct outline level formatting
be transferred to new paragraphs as you press Enter (which will happen
with
direct formatting). I can't tell for certain (for obvious reasons), but
think that's what Aeneas was referring to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sorry, yes. *The propagation* is not at all the part that surprised me.
This is exactly what I would expect to happen, also. That's not
autoformatting but just how Word works, I think.

Stefan Blom wrote:

Using styles will certainly prevent the direct outline level formatting to
be transferred to new paragraphs as you press Enter (which will happen with
direct formatting). I can't tell for certain (for obvious reasons), but I
think that's what Aeneas was referring to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This prevention is what surprised me. The Doc Map used to add outline
levels even if Heading levels were already in use throughout the
document, and I can't imagine that I didn't test a doc with the first
paragraph using a Heading (possible but doubtful).

So this is a new way to prevent the problem, to format the first
paragraph, and it sounds like Word has gotten smarter. Thanks for the tips!

(Sorry, missed this thread for a while)

Aeneas wrote:
It has prevented the problem from occurring in Word 2007 documents 100% of
the time when I format the first paragraph with a built-in heading style
before I open the Document Map for the first time. The suggestions I made re
selecting all instances of paragraphs formatted with the Normal style and
changing the Outline Level to Body Text, formatting a paragraph (preferably
the 1st with a built-in Heading style), etc. has also worked without
exception on older documents that I've converted to the .docx file format.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Hi Aeneas,