Christina

Default Restart numbering using LISTNUM

I do techncial support in a law firm. We use the following Heading Styles
with numbering applied for our Paragraph (Outline) Numbering:

Heading 1 = 1.
Heading 2 = (a)
Heading 3 = (i)
Heading 4 = A.

In some documents, we require numbering with a paragraph (see example
below). The numbering must appear as roman numberals regardless of the
numbering style applied to the paragraph i.e., Heading 1 or 2. I have
recommended to staff to use the LISTNUM field to insert the numbers within
the paragraphbut there is a problem.
In the first paragraph of the example below, the Heading Style 1 is applied
to the paragraph. When the LISTNUM field is inserted within the paragraph the
resulting number is (a). By right-clicking on the LISTNUM field and selecting
Increase Indent the numbering style changes to (i). This is exactly what we
need. However, for the following paragraph when the Heading Style 2 is
applied, a (b) instead of an (a) appears. I understand that this is because
Word is detecting the LISTNUM field in the first paragraph.

Is there an easy way to restart the numbering for subsequent paragraphs when
using the LISTNUM field? Would a different Word field provide the results we
are looking for?

EXAMPLE:
1. The Borrower shall deliver to the Bank a certificate of its chief
financial officer, certifying that (i) no Default has occurred, (ii) the
attached financial statements have been prepared in accordance with generally
accepted accounting principles, and (iii) the attached certificate correctly
sets forth the calculations for determining the ratios specified in Sections
5.08, 5.09, and 5.10.
(b) Preparation of the following documents shall be approved by the
Borrower including (i) financial statement, (ii) annual report, and (iii)
shareholder's summary.

--
Christina
Margaret Aldis

Hi Christina

There are several ways of kludging the numbering back to what you want, but
they may give you grief later, especially if you cut and paste paragraphs.

You could (assuming Word 2002 or later) simply right click on (b) and
Restart Numbering at that point - but see
http://www.word.mvps.org/faqs/number...tartFromUI.htm for some of
the issues with that. Also this won't work if a similar problem occurs with
a missing level 2 further through the sequence.

It seems to me the underlying issue here is that you have a hierarchical
structure which assumes that there will be a level 2 before level 3 - so
when you insert the level 3 LISTNUM in your example you've broken your own
"rules". If the "within paragraph" numbering is actually separate from the
paragraph outline numbering then it might be cleaner to set up a separate
numbering sequence. You could do that with a separate named LISTNUM field,
or with a SEQ field.

Otherwise, I think the safest and simplest compromise would be to use a
LISTNUM field with an explicit start number in place of the paragraph number
in the next Heading 2. You'll need to create a style that is the unnumbered
equivalent of Heading 2 (with appropriate tab setting). The LISTNUM field
you need will be something like {LISTNUM \l 2 \s 1} (level 2, restarting at
1 - i.e. (a) in the chosen numbering format).

An alternative would be to include a hidden field in the paragraph that is
"missing" its second level numbering - for example {LISTNUM \l 2 \s 0}. This
field restarts numbering for the second level at zero, so the value for next
second level number will be 1 - producing (a).

Hope this helps

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Christina" wrote in message
[...]

Christina

Thank you, Margaret. I appreciate the variety of recommendations you
provided. I will present these options to the secretaries who will most
likely benefit from these options and determine what the next step will be.
--
Christina