Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
L Sangree L Sangree is offline

Default Open Word 2007 doc with link to Excel 2007

We have "model" Word docs in a shared directory that have links to Excel.
When someone wants to use the model they copy all the Excel and Word docs for
that model from the shared directory to a new folder of their own.

In 2003 the procedure that worked was to copy the files. Open the Excel
sheets. Open the Word doc. Press Alt F9 to see all links. Select entire
document. Press F9 to update links. The update would change the file path
from the shared directory to the new individual directory.

In 2007 (just installed) when I press F9 to update the links, I get a
Microsoft Office Word error box: "The server application, source file, or
item cannot be found. Make sure the application is properly installed, and
tht it has not been deleted, moved, renamed, or blocked by policy." The path
name is not changed. I can edit them manually with find/replace but that is a
nuisance when it used to be automatic! (There are MANY links in each document
to several different workbooks.)

In both 2003 and 2007 we have turned OFF the option to automatically update
links on open.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello L

L Sangree wrote:
We have "model" Word docs in a shared directory that have links to Excel.
When someone wants to use the model they copy all the Excel and Word docs for
that model from the shared directory to a new folder of their own.

[Whenever I hear something about a "model" document, I think that a
proper template would be better ...]

In 2003 the procedure that worked was to copy the files. Open the Excel
sheets. Open the Word doc. Press Alt F9 to see all links. Select entire
document. Press F9 to update links. The update would change the file path
from the shared directory to the new individual directory.

In 2007 (just installed) when I press F9 to update the links, I get a
Microsoft Office Word error box: "The server application, source file, or
item cannot be found. Make sure the application is properly installed, and
tht it has not been deleted, moved, renamed, or blocked by policy." The path
name is not changed. I can edit them manually with find/replace but that is a
nuisance when it used to be automatic! (There are MANY links in each document
to several different workbooks.)

The error message might even be true and the problem lies entirely
outside of Office (I've seen something very similar in a corporate
environment with Vista/Office 2007, and it turned out to be a problem
with the network.

In both 2003 and 2007 we have turned OFF the option to automatically update
links on open.

What I would do to test this: make sure all files (Word and Excel) are
saved in the new format, and re-insert the XLSX into the DOCX.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
L Sangree L Sangree is offline

Below you will see a response I received via email from Microsoft Enterprise
Services & Support for Businesses Applications. I am amazed that the solution
is to use the 2003 format in 2007 until further notice. Does nobody else move
linked files from one folder to another? Why was functionality reduced in
2007?

After further research, I found that your concerns around the Word and Excel
2007 XML linked objects is a known issue. We are fully aware of the issue
with the XML file formats with Excel and Word 2007. The problem is caused
by the file format change to XML file format. In previous versions of Word,
we had an actual OLE link that would know how to correct itself when the
folder was moved. With XML formats, we just keep a string path to the file
location and if you move the folder, the link becomes broken.

This issue is under investigation in which KB articles will eventually be
published to address the XML object linking issue. Unfortunately, I am
unable to provide a time frame when the articles will be officially published
and/or when the issue will be fully resolved at this time.

The current workarounds to address the issue is as follows:
1) Save the XML file format as binary ( *.doc & *.xls )
2) ALT-F9 to update the links to recognize the new location
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

L Sangree wrote:
[...]

thank you for sharing this!

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\) Bob  Buckland  ?:-\) is offline

Hi L.,

As you didn't mention your repro steps, and without the case number, I'm
guessing here, but you may also be able to try the workaround listed in this
MS Article if it's a related scenario
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925590 (although it may not be helpful to
you)

As to the 'why', the issue was previously raised to Microsoft based on
earlier postings in the discussion groups. If I recall correctly, it wasn't
something that came up until after the version release. It is an active
issue at Microsoft. Part of the answer on 'why' is in the first paragraph
of the reply from Microsoft you posted. The underlying document structure
for Office 2007's core apps is XML based. Microsoft propsed the original
specification but has turned over its administration to an International
Standards body. If Microsoft needs to have the underlying specification
modified they can no longer do that on their own. They can 'extend' XML
from the baseline in the Standard. If they can solve the problem within the
program without breaking the file format/XML working standards they can do
so, but unfortunately this does take time to review and correct things.

Using either the workaround from the above article or using the legacy
formats and internal handling is the present workaround. Sorry to not have
better short term news for you.

=====
[...]

MS Office System Products MVP