Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fill-in Form General Questions Fill-in Form General Questions is offline

Default Table Size

I have a 1 column/1 row table unprotected in a form.
I do not want the table to expand down in size when the user hits enter or
types more text than the size of the box. How can I do that
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Right-click the table and choose Table Properties from the context menu. In
the dialog box, click the Row tab. Check the "Specify height" option, type
the desired value, and for "Row height is" choose "Exactly." Click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Fill-in Form General Questions" wrote in message
I have a 1 column/1 row table unprotected in a form.
I do not want the table to expand down in size when the user hits enter or
types more text than the size of the box. How can I do that

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fill-in Form General Questions Fill-in Form General Questions is offline

Thanks Stefan.
Exactly what I wanted... The only question I have is what happens if my text
keeps going after the box is full. Do I lose it?? How can I see it??

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Right-click the table and choose Table Properties from the context menu. In
the dialog box, click the Row tab. Check the "Specify height" option, type
the desired value, and for "Row height is" choose "Exactly." Click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Fill-in Form General Questions" wrote in message
I have a 1 column/1 row table unprotected in a form.
I do not want the table to expand down in size when the user hits enter or
types more text than the size of the box. How can I do that

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The text won't be lost, although it disappears into the bottom of the cell.
To see it, you can copy or cut the cell contents and paste it elsewhere.
Also, note that if you delete the text that *is* visible in the cell, the
invisible text will reappear.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Right-click the table and choose Table Properties from the context menu.
In
the dialog box, click the Row tab. Check the "Specify height" option,
type
the desired value, and for "Row height is" choose "Exactly." Click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Fill-in Form General Questions" wrote in message
I have a 1 column/1 row table unprotected in a form.
I do not want the table to expand down in size when the user hits enter
or
types more text than the size of the box. How can I do that

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fill-in Form General Questions Fill-in Form General Questions is offline

Thanks Stefan... you're the man!!!
I do have a couple of other issues with this table. This table is 1 column/2
rows (1st row is just the title).

1. This table is in an unprotected section of the form. Therefore the user
can modify the 1st row (header) which I would like to prevent.

2. When I specified the height for the row, I also made it so that it does
not break the row accross pages. However, then type more text than the size
of the row, it moves just that row to the next page, but not the 1st row,
which is the header... how do I make it so that it moves both rows together??

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Right-click the table and choose Table Properties from the context menu.
In
the dialog box, click the Row tab. Check the "Specify height" option,
type
the desired value, and for "Row height is" choose "Exactly." Click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Fill-in Form General Questions" wrote in message
I have a 1 column/1 row table unprotected in a form.
I do not want the table to expand down in size when the user hits enter
or
types more text than the size of the box. How can I do that

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

2. Select the first row and then format it as "Keep with next" (Line and
Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog box). This keeps the two rows
together on the same page.

1. This is trickier. As far as I know, there is no easy way to do this. If
you could split the table by a continuous section break, thus keeping what
is currently the first row of the two-row table in a separate, protected
section, then it does what you want.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Right-click the table and choose Table Properties from the context
menu.
In
the dialog box, click the Row tab. Check the "Specify height" option,
type
the desired value, and for "Row height is" choose "Exactly." Click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Fill-in Form General Questions" wrote in message
I have a 1 column/1 row table unprotected in a form.
I do not want the table to expand down in size when the user hits
enter
or
types more text than the size of the box. How can I do that

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

1. This is trickier. As far as I know, there is no easy way to do this. If
you could split the table by a continuous section break, thus keeping what
is currently the first row of the two-row table in a separate, protected
section, then it does what you want.

Clarification: What I'm suggesting here is to split the table into two
single row tables, and keeping the one that should not be edited immediately
before a continuous section break:

table row in protected section
section break: continuous
row in unprotected section

You may have to format the paragraph mark following the first table as 1 pt
font size, or as hidden text, to reduce the spacing between tables, creating
the illusion that they are just one table.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP