Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liontamer Liontamer is offline

Default Saving a PDF file.

Microsoft XP Professional Media Center Ed.
Word 2007
Using: Step by Step On: pages 307-8
Question: After I published a saved PDF file and looked in My Documents, I
can't seem to locate this file on the list of documents. I'm not sure why
not?

By way of the books instructions, I expect that the document I am practicing
with and saved as a PDF, after hitting the Publish button, with the option
Minimum size (publishing online) selected, will be available on My Documents
listings. But it's not!

This is interesting. Why not?

Also, if I go into my hotmail account and open a new email message and
attempt to attach this PDF file, well I can't do it. Because the IE7, which
I'm using, cannot open the PDF file or find it. Something like that is
happening. So, what's the problem here?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I was saving files as a .pdf just a few minutes ago. Some of my files are,
some aren't. It appears if I close the Word document after saving it, it
appears. If I left it open and went to the next file, then it did not
appear. Don't know if that is coincidence or by design.

Internet Explorer never opened .pdf files - Adobe's Reader does that. If you
can't open a .pdf file since upgrading to IE7, then that's a different story
and not Word related. However.......
1. Close all browsers and Reader windows.
2. Start Adobe Reader.
3. Choose Edit / Preferences / General.
4. In the Options section, select Display PDF in Browser.
5. Click OK, and then exit from Reader.
6. Restart Internet Explorer.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Liontamer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liontamer Liontamer is offline

JoAnn: Your comment: " Internet Explorer never opened .pdf files - Adobe's
Reader does that." was helpful. But your procedu

1. Close all browsers and Reader windows.
2. Start Adobe Reader.
3. Choose Edit / Preferences / General.
4. In the Options section, select Display PDF in Browser.
5. Click OK, and then exit from Reader.
6. Restart Internet Explorer.

was not helpful.

It seems when I started the Adobe Reader 9, I found the file. So, you wer
right about that. But #3...6 not helpful.

I used the Adobe Reader 9 File Open etc. and found the file.
I left it open in a minimize window.
I reopened my hotmail account.
I used Attach on the new email.
But even though I was now able to find the file ,perhaps because I opened it
as above and minimized it, I still ran into difficulty. I get a window
asking if I want to save the file. Huh? I don't want to save it. I want to
attach it. Gezz......

"Liontamer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Those steps were undoubtedly created for an older version of Reader.

Do you access your Hotmail account via the web or Outlook/Mail/Outlook
Express?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Liontamer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liontamer Liontamer is offline

Well, right now, I'm still working (rather at a slow pace, but time
permitting) at finishing Step by Step MS Office Word 2007. And, I haven't
gotten to setting up my MS Office Outlook (but I'm getting there--you know
one step at a time). So, for now, I'm using the web to access my hotmail
account.

I don't know, but something tells me that what's described in Chapter 11 of
SBS Word 2007 works with MS Office Outlook. I guess I'll find that out once
I set up my
MS Office Outlook.

I still can't figure out "why?": "I get a window asking if I want to save
the file. Huh? I don't want to save it. I want to attach it." (See
previous reply.)

Just a related note:
I just briefly read through another post from Amanda1234. She wants to use
a: "downloaded an invoice template" and wants to "save as a PDF and
e-mail." (See 1/9/2007) Free Agent99 told her about a

"JoAnn Paules" wrote: "Just download a PDF printer driver from Download.com.
install it as a printer and choose the printer when you print the document.
it will create a PDF file. With these drivers, any document printed becomes
a PDF." (See 1/9/2007)

Now, that seems helpful. But, I'm not sure "why?" you'll need another
printer driver when you all ready have one for your printer. However,
disregarding "why?," what's important to note here is: it's possible to use
an invoice template, save it as a PDF, and send it off in an email.

Joan Preppernau writes: "Hi, Amanda. If you're using Word 2007 (you can
download a 60-day trial from the Microsoft web site) you can save Word
documents as PDF files. You will first need to download the Save As PDF
add-in, but it's free, and you will need to do that only once--then you can
create as many PDF files as you like, for free." (See 1/9/2007)

Humm, that sounds interesting. When I'm ready to really make use of this
option, this may be worth checking into. But it's only good for 60 days as a
free trial. So, I wouldn't want to waste this option right now.

General Comment on Chapter 11 of SBS Word 2007:
The end of this chapter covers how to Create an XML document. Well, I
finally finished this chapter. I even paced myself through the 04_XML
document exercise. "Holly cow!" Just when you think you're catchin' on to
things, when you think you've got a grasp on the power of this amazing
program--it goes into the stratosphere of technical computer stuff. Yes, I
get it. I can use this XML stuff like picking stuff at my favorite chinese
restaurant. You know, one from "Column A" and one from "Column B". Then I
get to put my selections into some other program or file or something
necessary. That sounds pretty useful and technically cool. But, honestly,
when will I ever have the need to use this powerful stuff? (LOL)

Anyways, for those of you nice enough to have read this post: Thanks for
stopping by. I hope I made ya smile! And have a Healthy and Happy New Year
2009.

"Liontamer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

"Liontamer" wrote in message

Joan Preppernau writes: "Hi, Amanda. If you're using Word 2007 (you can
download a 60-day trial from the Microsoft web site) you can save Word
documents as PDF files. You will first need to download the Save As PDF
add-in, but it's free, and you will need to do that only once--then you
can
create as many PDF files as you like, for free." (See 1/9/2007)

Humm, that sounds interesting. When I'm ready to really make use of this
option, this may be worth checking into. But it's only good for 60 days
as a
free trial. So, I wouldn't want to waste this option right now.

It's the trial version of Office 2007 that's "free for 60 days". The PDF
add-in is free to those who have Office 2007. To obtain it, click the Office
Button, point at Save As, click a command along the lines of "Find add-ins
to save as PDF or XPS". The link will take you to the Microsoft Download
site where you can download the PDF add-in. Background on why it's not
automatically included in Office 2007: It was at one time. Then Adobe sued
MS over it. Adobe won. MS then made it available as a free download.

--
Beth Melton

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx