How tell whether footnote reference is a reference v. cross-refere

Old December 30th 08, 03:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft

Default How tell whether footnote reference is a reference v. cross-refere

Footnote 'references' look the same as 'cross-references' to the same
footnotes. I understand the logic there -- you want more than one reference
to the same footnote, one that will also update with any removal of existing
footnotes, or addition of new ones.

But how can you be sure whether you are looking at the footnote or the
cross-reference?

Is there any other way besides searching/hunting for the first instance of
each footnote number (or letter, etc.)? In a complex table with many
footnotes and cross-references to footnotes, that can become rather tedious.

Thanks.
Old January 2nd 09, 01:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft

Hmm, I don't know what the problem is (i.e., no replies). Maybe my post
wasn't clear.

OK, second try:

If you see a footnote number -- e.g., in a table column -- how can you tell
whether it's the original footnote reference or a cross-reference (to the
same footnote as the original footnote reference)? For example, a
superscripted number 4 -- it could be a footnote (i.e., footnote 4), but it
could also be a cross-reference that was created to refer to footnote 4.

These will look exactly the same, so how, if at all, can you tell you've got
the 'footnote' and not the 'cross reference' to the footnote?

Thanks.

------------------

Old January 2nd 09, 03:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

They actually don't look the same. The footnote reference has a dotted box
around it; the cross-reference does not have the box.

http://word.mvps.org

Old January 4th 09, 06:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft

Default How tell whether footnote reference is a reference v. cross-re

They actually don't look the same. The footnote reference has a dotted box
around it; the cross-reference does not have the box.

I haven't noticed that but will check and post a follow-up. Possibly I've
missed it because the table is so complex and in a very small (6-pt.) font
size.

Is this contrasting display always evident or does some 'preference' or
other menu item have to be checked in order to see the dotted box around the
original footnote?

Thanks.
Old January 4th 09, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This is standard; I would have thought it might be affected by the "text
boundaries" setting, but it is not. If the references are very small, you
can use a higher Zoom. Many users erroneously believe that they have two
footnote 5s and no 6 (or maybe it's the other way around) because the
references, especially when complicated by the bounding box, display so
purely at 100% Zoom.

http://word.mvps.org

Old January 6th 09, 06:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft

The footnote reference has a dotted box
around it; the cross-reference does not have the box.

I am not seeing this on my screen -- i.e., there is nothing distinguishing
the actual footnote reference from cross-references to the same footnote.

Is the 'dotted box' something that was added in post-Word 2003 versions?

Thanks.
Old January 6th 09, 02:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

AFAIK the dotted box has always been there. It is certainly there in Word
2003 (there is only one "post-Word 2003 version"). I assume you're not using
a Mac version?

http://word.mvps.org

Old January 7th 09, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft

AFAIK the dotted box has always been there. It is certainly there in Word
2003 (there is only one "post-Word 2003 version"). I assume you're not using
a Mac version?

No, I only use WORD on a PC (Windows XP). No sign of any dotted box for
footnote *or* cross-references to footnotes.
Old January 7th 09, 03:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I don't know what to say. I see the dotted box both in the text and in the
footnote. Have you tried looking at, say, 200% Zoom?

http://word.mvps.org

Old January 7th 09, 07:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft

I don't know what to say. I see the dotted box both in the text and in the
footnote. Have you tried looking at, say, 200% Zoom?

I've been up to at least 150% (zoom) because the text in the table is so
small. But my eyes aren't so bad that I'd miss a dotted box.

Couldn't this depend on the display hardware being used?

I recently used WORD on a laptop (PC) and I do recall seeing the dotted
boxes then (although the display was, overall, inferior to that on the
desktop PC's monitor).

Thanks.