SEQ Field not in cross-reference reference type pull-down menu

Old May 24th 05, 06:45 AM
The Josh

Default SEQ Field not in cross-reference reference type pull-down menu

Hi All,
I created a SEQ field: { SEQ Reference \* ALPHABETIC \* MERGEFORMAT }. As
you can see it is called "Reference". I created this field in a document and
it appears in the cross-reference reference type pull-down menu. No problems
here. However I made a copy of the document and "Reference" no longer
appears in the cross-reference reference type pull-down menu. I have seen
this a few times. I have even seen one user open a document and can see the
"Reference" field, and another user opens the same document and cannot see
the field. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is very frustrating!
Thanks.
Old May 24th 05, 09:32 AM
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?VGhlIEpvc2g=?=,

I created a SEQ field: { SEQ Reference \* ALPHABETIC \* MERGEFORMAT }. As
you can see it is called "Reference". I created this field in a document and
it appears in the cross-reference reference type pull-down menu. No problems
here. However I made a copy of the document and "Reference" no longer
appears in the cross-reference reference type pull-down menu. I have seen
this a few times. I have even seen one user open a document and can see the
"Reference" field, and another user opens the same document and cannot see
the field.

What you see in this list is user- or machine-specific. If this entry hasn't
been defined via the Insert/Caption/Label feature, it won't appear in the list.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Old May 24th 05, 11:29 PM
The Josh

Hi Cindy,
Thanks for the reply, however I deleted all instances of the the SEQ field
and re-created the field called SEQ Reference and even one called SEQ Ref.
Both instances did not appear in the cross-reference reference type pull-down
menu. Its like word has forgotten to add them to the list (when on other
occasions it has worked perfectly). Is there a way to make word re-populate
the list? Thanks.

Hi =?Utf-8?B?VGhlIEpvc2g=?=,

Old May 25th 05, 07:05 AM

You misunderstood what Cindy said. You cannot make a SEQ field appear in the
list by creating it manually. You have to create a caption label using that
name. If you create a new caption label called "Reference," then you will be
able to find those captions in the list.

"The Josh" wrote in message
Hi Cindy,
Thanks for the reply, however I deleted all instances of the the SEQ field
and re-created the field called SEQ Reference and even one called SEQ Ref.
Both instances did not appear in the cross-reference reference type

pull-down
menu. Its like word has forgotten to add them to the list (when on other
occasions it has worked perfectly). Is there a way to make word

re-populate
the list? Thanks.

Hi =?Utf-8?B?VGhlIEpvc2g=?=,

Old May 25th 05, 07:38 AM
The Josh

Hi Suzanne,
You are correct, I misunderstood what Cindy said. I just used the
Insert/Caption/Label feature and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for yours and Cindys help.

"The Josh" wrote in message
Hi Cindy,
Thanks for the reply, however I deleted all instances of the the SEQ field
and re-created the field called SEQ Reference and even one called SEQ Ref.
Both instances did not appear in the cross-reference reference type

pull-down
menu. Its like word has forgotten to add them to the list (when on other
occasions it has worked perfectly). Is there a way to make word

re-populate
the list? Thanks.

Hi =?Utf-8?B?VGhlIEpvc2g=?=,

Old May 25th 05, 02:27 PM

Note that caption labels unfortunately do not travel with the document (as
you've seen). This is something we hope to see corrected in a future
version.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You misunderstood what Cindy said. You cannot make a SEQ field appear in

the
list by creating it manually. You have to create a caption label using

that
name. If you create a new caption label called "Reference," then you

will be
able to find those captions in the list.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"The Josh" wrote in message
Hi Cindy,
Thanks for the reply, however I deleted all instances of the the SEQ

field
and re-created the field called SEQ Reference and even one called SEQ

Ref.
Both instances did not appear in the cross-reference reference type

pull-down
menu. Its like word has forgotten to add them to the list (when on

other
occasions it has worked perfectly). Is there a way to make word

re-populate
the list? Thanks.

Hi =?Utf-8?B?VGhlIEpvc2g=?=,