Cross-reference--Error! Reference source not found.

Old March 1st 07, 03:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hbear

Default Cross-reference--Error! Reference source not found.

I have a sizeable list of citations at the end of a paper I'm working on.
References within the text are cross-referenced to this numbered list. My
problem is that the list has to be updated fairly frequently, with additions,
deletions, and cut and paste reordering. Sometimes these changes are dealt
with appropriately during field updates, but at other times, apparently at
random, I receive the error message "Error! Reference source not found."
Could someone explain what generates that error and how I can ensure that
the cross-references will work while still allowing me to organize and update
my list as needed.
Old March 1st 07, 08:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M.

Hi =?Utf-8?B?aGJlYXI=?=,

I have a sizeable list of citations at the end of a paper I'm working on.
References within the text are cross-referenced to this numbered list. My
problem is that the list has to be updated fairly frequently, with additions,
deletions, and cut and paste reordering. Sometimes these changes are dealt
with appropriately during field updates, but at other times, apparently at
random, I receive the error message "Error! Reference source not found."
Could someone explain what generates that error and how I can ensure that
the cross-references will work while still allowing me to organize and update
my list as needed.

Cross-references are REF fields (Alt+F9 will toggle the field codes off/on so
that you can see this, if you wish). A REF field always references a bookmark in
the document. When you insert a cross-reference, Word bookmarks the text and
generates the REF field. If for some reason the bookmark is deleted (most often,
by removing the text it contained) then you'll see this error message. This
often happens when changing the entire title of a heading or caption, for
example.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Old March 2nd 07, 05:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hbear

So it was the deletions that were causing the errors... It's just been a
trial run, so far, so I can figure out how it all works before applying it to
the real document. Thanks to your help, I think I'm getting a handle on it
now.

Thank you!

Hi =?Utf-8?B?aGJlYXI=?=,