Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter Peter is offline

Default Toolbars get jumbled around every time I open a document

I've recently started experiencing a problem with Word 2003 that every time I
open a document, my toolbars are scrambled. I thought toolbars were supposed
to stay put between sessions. Is this a bug, or is there a setting I am
missing? At the top of the document I have two standard toolbars and three
custom toolbars. At the bottom I have two standard toolbars. Only the ones at
the top of the document get scrambled.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Open normal.dot in Word for editing. Place the toolbars where you want them.
Add a character to the text space and delete it. Save and close normal.dot.

Peter wrote:
I've recently started experiencing a problem with Word 2003 that
every time I open a document, my toolbars are scrambled. I thought
toolbars were supposed to stay put between sessions. Is this a bug,
or is there a setting I am missing? At the top of the document I have
two standard toolbars and three custom toolbars. At the bottom I have
two standard toolbars. Only the ones at the top of the document get
scrambled.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter Peter is offline

Sorry Graham but that did not fix the problem. I did not think toolbar
locations are saved in Normal.dot because even if you delete it, the toolbars
appear in their correct location. The issue I am having seems to be
intermittent and random (or else I have yet to detect the pattern).

Peter wrote:
I've recently started experiencing a problem with Word 2003 that
every time I open a document, my toolbars are scrambled. I thought
toolbars were supposed to stay put between sessions. Is this a bug,
or is there a setting I am missing? At the top of the document I have
two standard toolbars and three custom toolbars. At the bottom I have
two standard toolbars. Only the ones at the top of the document get
scrambled.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The standard toolbars are stored in the registry - see
http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm . The personal toolbars
and changes to them are stored in templates, by default normal.dot.

Peter wrote:
I've recently started experiencing a problem with Word 2003 that
every time I open a document, my toolbars are scrambled. I thought
toolbars were supposed to stay put between sessions. Is this a bug,
or is there a setting I am missing? At the top of the document I
have two standard toolbars and three custom toolbars. At the bottom
I have two standard toolbars. Only the ones at the top of the
document get scrambled.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter Peter is offline

I mean custom toolbars. I deleted my Normal.dot file and the custom toolbars
from addins stored in Word/Startup still appear and in the normal location. I
did as you suggested and they still get jumbled (sometimes). I think the
issue might be related to the fact that I use Word as my e-mail editor with
Outlook. I think the jumbling might be a result of other toolbars (like
Attach as Adobe PDF) that show up when I send e-mail. I just noticed when
writing an e-mail that the Adobe toolbar showed up on a word document I had
open in the background. This may cause the other toolbars to move in order to
accommodate this one? Although the Adobe toolbar appeared at the top on a
line by itself so I don't think it would move the others. Anyway, I thought
this additional information might be helpful.

Thanks,
Peter

Peter wrote:
I've recently started experiencing a problem with Word 2003 that
every time I open a document, my toolbars are scrambled. I thought
toolbars were supposed to stay put between sessions. Is this a bug,
or is there a setting I am missing? At the top of the document I
have two standard toolbars and three custom toolbars. At the bottom
I have two standard toolbars. Only the ones at the top of the
document get scrambled.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you are using Word as e-mail editor for Outlook, then when so used it has
entirely different requirements for toolbar availability. The result is the
type of cock-up you are experiencing. You *may* be able to match the toolbar
positions in both applications, but frankly you will find it simpler to use
Outlook's own editor, which is quite up to the task of creating e-mails.