Steel

Default Word tables: how do you format numbers?

Is there anyway to format numbers in a Word table? For example, I would like
to enter 9876543 and have it automatically convert to $9,876,543.00 as you
can do in Excel. I realize you can do this in the function cell, but I can't
figure out how to do it in other cells.

Stefan Blom

No, Word doesn't offer a way to apply a numeric format to a table
cell, unfortunately. If you have Excel, you can embed a spreadsheet
into the Word document, and take advantage of its number formatting
capabilities.

--
Stefan Blom

"Steel" wrote in message
Is there anyway to format numbers in a Word table? For example, I

would like
to enter 9876543 and have it automatically convert to $9,876,543.00

as you
can do in Excel. I realize you can do this in the function cell,

but I can't
figure out how to do it in other cells.

Stefan Blom

I just noticed that the question has been asked in
microsoft.public.word.vba.general, in the thread titled "Table number
formating". There are no responses yet, though.

--
Stefan Blom

"Steel" wrote:

Is there anyway to format numbers in a Word table? For example,

would like
to enter 9876543 and have it automatically convert to

$9,876,543.00 as you
can do in Excel. I realize you can do this in the function

cell,
but I can't
figure out how to do it in other cells.

Allabout

You can put form fields in your table and format these as numbers, setting
the format to $#,##0.00;($#,##0.00) when you protect the form the user will
only be able to fill in the form fields and they will format as they are
completed.

Andrea Jones

"Steel" wrote:

Is there anyway to format numbers in a Word table? For example, I

would like
to enter 9876543 and have it automatically convert to

$9,876,543.00 as you
can do in Excel. I realize you can do this in the function cell,

but I can't
figure out how to do it in other cells.

Stefan Blom

Well, it is correct that a protected form allows you to specify a
numeric format. What complicates matters is that the OP also wants to
calculate results in cells (using the SUM formula) and this wouldn't
work in a protected document. Of course, it may be possible to use the
techniques described in the article at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...ProtectDoc.htm, but this
might be too much work (it certainly would be to me!) to get formatted
numbers in table cells.

--
Stefan Blom

"Steel" wrote:

Is there anyway to format numbers in a Word table? For

example, I
would like
to enter 9876543 and have it automatically convert to

$9,876,543.00 as you
can do in Excel. I realize you can do this in the function

cell,
but I can't
figure out how to do it in other cells.

Stefan Blom

That's true! I didn't think of that. You can tell I don't work with
protected documents that much...

Thank you for pointing out my error!

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But the OP can use a calculation form field.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.