Al

Default Cannot re-save large document. (linked objects are corrupt)

I am using WORD 2002 SP3 under Windows 2000 Professional.
I have 2 word files. I insert the second file behind the first. I create a
TOC which is correct and correctly references all 750 pages. I can save the
document. However, if I open the saved document and add as little as a
space to it I cannot do a Save or a Save as. I get the insidious message
"The disk is full trying to write to C::. Free some space on this drive,
or save the document on another disk…."
I have looked at the myriad of web pages addressing this problem. I
deleted all tmp files. No avail. Some info suggests the problem is related
to Microsoft Equation editor. This document does contain many Equation
Editor objects (about 900). When I open the document the TOC is correct
and all equations are there, however they are not linked to Equation
Editor. In the original documents, the first part has 600 equations all
linked to Equation Editor. The second part has 300 equations all linked to
Equation Editor. The combined document has all 900 equations but they are
not linked to Equation Editor. Edit Object produces an error message:
"This object is corrupt or is no longer available."

Can anyone shed some light on this problem? Is there a limit on the number
of linked objects?
Stephanie

-- Al,

I think your document is corrupt. Probably one of the two documents you
combined has an issue with it. You didn't by chance keep the original two
documents? I'm thinking some of the equations are the problem. There's an
issue with word, especially 20002, 2000, and 97, that I've run across. These
versions don't handle huge documents with a lot of graphics, tables, or
equations.

I had a similar issue with a large document. I would suggest that you start
a new document. Transfer both documents into it, one paragraph at a time,
being careful NOT to bring the paragraph mark. The equations will have to be
input manually, probably. You can try copy/paste, but I'll bet that won't
work. If you have tables or graphics, the tables will have to be newly made
as well. The graphics you can copy but do a special paste and make it a
picture. That will put in a snapshot of the graphic and not bring all the
garbage with it. You can do it with the equations as well, but then you
won't be able to edit them.

I know this is a hassle. Been there, done that. It's the only way that I
know of when you don't know what's causing the corruption.

Steph

Steph

"Al" wrote:

[...]

Al

Thanks Steph, but you must be joking. Manualy bring in each paragraph?
There are 14974 paragraphs.
I do not understand how you jumped to the conclusion that the original
documents are corrupt. They show no signs of corruption and behave like
good and proper Word documents. The problem only occurs when the two
documents are concatenated. If there is no solution, we will live with
the document in 2 files.

?B?U3RlcGhhbmll?= wrote in
: