Niana Santana

Default Can I recover a document that wasn't saved?

I was typing up a report for my world history class and I was almost half-way
when I stopped to save and I had closed out of an internet explorer window
that I had open and I accidentally hit the close button in the top corner and
I missed the prompt that asked me to save. Is there any way that I can
recover the document?
Greg Maxey

About all that you can do is start over at the beginning.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Niana Santana wrote:
I was typing up a report for my world history class and I was almost
half-way when I stopped to save and I had closed out of an internet
explorer window that I had open and I accidentally hit the close
button in the top corner and I missed the prompt that asked me to
save. Is there any way that I can recover the document?

FinRazel

It is rather difficult to miss the prompt that asks you to save (Word is
frozen until you click something in at this prompt). I am inclined to think
that you accidently saved to Document1 (or the like). To check this, go to
My Computer - View - Explorer Bar - History - Today - My Computer. If
there are any Word files in this folder, click on them and see if your paper
is there.

Another thing to check. If this is a paper that already had a filename, in
Explorer, go to the folder where your paper should have been saved. In the
Tools menu, click Folder Options. Under the View Tab, click the "Show Hidden
Files" radio button. This will allow you to see if there are any autosaves
of your file. If there are any Word files with wierd looking filenames that
are close to your original filename, then you are all good.

Hope this helps, I've been there.

"Niana Santana" wrote:

I was typing up a report for my world history class and I was almost half-way
when I stopped to save and I had closed out of an internet explorer window
that I had open and I accidentally hit the close button in the top corner and
I missed the prompt that asked me to save. Is there any way that I can
recover the document?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can I recover a document that wasn't saved?

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your document! Fortunately, there are a few things you can try to recover it.
  1. Check the AutoRecover folder: By default, Word saves a copy of your document every 10 minutes in case of a crash or power outage. To find the AutoRecover folder, open Word and go to File Options Save. Look for the "AutoRecover file location" and navigate to that folder in Windows Explorer. Look for a file with the extension ".asd" that matches the name of your lost document. If you find one, open it in Word and save it as a new file.
  2. Look for temporary files: When you're working on a document, Word creates temporary files that it uses to store changes. These files are usually deleted when you save and close the document, but if Word crashes or the document isn't saved, they may still be available. To find temporary files, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder where your lost document was stored. Look for files with the extension ".tmp" or "~" followed by the name of your document. Try opening these files in Word and saving them as new documents.
  3. Use the Recover Unsaved Documents featu If Word crashed or you closed the document without saving, you may be able to recover it using the Recover Unsaved Documents feature. To access this feature, open Word and go to File Open. Look for the "Recent Documents" section at the bottom of the screen and click "Recover Unsaved Documents." This will open a folder containing any unsaved documents that Word has recovered. Look for a file with the name of your lost document and open it in Word.

I hope one of these methods helps you recover your document!