Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DogWood DogWood is offline

Default Upgrade template to 2007 and lose macros

I'm trying to save a Word 2003 template (*.dot) as a macro-enabled Word 2007
template (*.dotm), but no matter what I try, I lose the macros. Using Word
2007 to "save as" in the same *.dot format, though, the macros remain. How
do I save as *.dotm and keep my macros?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

When you open the template in Word 2007 are you either opening it from a
trusted location or allowing the macros to run? That being the case I cannot
reproduce the conditions where a dot template containing macros doesn't
retain them when saved as DOTM, with or without the compatibility option
set.

Some Word 2003 macros, especially those concerning autotext, may not run
correctly in Word 2007

Or you could simply use the 2003 template in Word 2007 without changing it
to dotm.

DogWood wrote:
I'm trying to save a Word 2003 template (*.dot) as a macro-enabled
Word 2007 template (*.dotm), but no matter what I try, I lose the
macros. Using Word 2007 to "save as" in the same *.dot format,
though, the macros remain. How do I save as *.dotm and keep my
macros?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DogWood DogWood is offline

You're right; I tried it again, and it worked. I thought sure I had been
enabling the macros before I re-saved, but apparently not. I wanted to
upgrade to a dotm to take advantage of the pretty ribbon.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You don't lose the ribbon. It is inherent in Word 2007. What you lose is the
ability to redefine the ribbon. Custom toolbars the DOT template contained
will appear on the add-ins tab, whereas in DOTM you can create a TAB to hold
commands associated with the template.