Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melody Melody is offline

Default Word Newbie - needs help with links/references - I think...

I'm writing a specification document that contains tables, text and inserted
images. Throughout the document, I need to provide links or references to
specific figures within the same document. The problem occurs when the
document is being updated. Here's the scenario:

On Monday, I review a 10 page document with a table and image on each page.
Figures are labeled 1-10. On page 1 I need to link to Figure 10. On page 3
I need to link to Figure 8 and so on.

On Tuesday, a page gets added to the document and automatically updates
existing figures in the doc. Figure 8 automatically becomes Figure 9 and
Figure 10 automatically becomes Figure 11.

Now for the problem. The link on page 1 labeled "Figure 10" now goes to
Figure 11. The link on page 3 labeled "Figure 8" now links to Figure 9.

How do I prepare the document so that as pages are updated/added these
links/references update to link to the proper images?

I've been exploring with references/cross-references and links to "Place in
this document" but have not had success.

Can someone please help a Word newbie?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Insert Reverence Cross Reference and then choose the type of
thing you're referencing, and then choose whether you want to say its
name, or its label, or its page number ...

(Of course you have to have created your table titles etc. with one of
the numbered formats.)

In Word2007 it's in the Reference tab, not the Insert tab.

If you need to cross-reference something that isn't already numbered,
then you have to insert a Bookmark to latch onto.

To update a cross-reference, select it and press F9. You can do all of
them at once by selecting the whole document. They also update when
you print.

Newbie Questions Martin Page Layout 4 February 2nd 06 06:08 PM
Newbie to Word Please help Tom Grassi New Users 8 September 9th 05 06:07 AM
[newbie] word counts.. and excluding stuff.. [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 2 May 23rd 05 06:37 PM
Newbie: Linked document failures in Word XP [email protected] New Users 2 April 4th 05 12:48 PM
newbie question; working with Word paxton Microsoft Word Help 2 February 2nd 05 05:10 PM