budgie

Default Layout changes Word6 -> Word97 ... help!!

Until recently I happily used Word 6.0c under Win98SE. I saw no particular
benefit from migrating to a later version, but when installing on a new machine
I decided to try Office 97. Yikes!!

In Word6 I had created templates for envelopes of various sizes, as well as for
89mm x 34mm mailing labels. These were all tried and true, and had served me
well for years. I use an HP5L printer and am using the LJ622en.exe driver.

In Word97, the print previews all look fine, but the printouts are way off
target. The labels ( sheet width 127mm) catch only the tail end of the address
- it is positioned as if the media is the default A4 even though the page setup
shows the correct size ex the template. Similarly, the small envelope doesn't
even catch any toner - the address prints (vertically - as it should) on the
extreme bottom right of an A4 sheet sent through to help diagnose the problem.

In addition, for clarity I normally insert TWO spaces between words/numbers in
addresses. Word97 takes "62 Smith St" and replaces the first pair of spaces
with a tab/space, and when advancing to the next line I get an unwanted "63_tab"
leader.

I'm close to uninstalling Office97 and reverting to the earlier version, but
maybe someone here can shed some light on why things are wacky and how they can
be brought under control.