Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Doug is offline

Default Mail Merge

Hi Doug,

You may want to use the link below to also post this in the MS Word
Mailmerge discussion group if you're running the merge from
Word.

================
"Doug" wrote in message
I seem to be having a problem opening Mail Merge documents created in Office
2000 with Office 2003. Specifically, I have a database created in Access
2000 into which I input data and then merge the results by having the Access
program bring up a Mail Merge document and merge the data. Some of the
workstations have been upgraded to Office 2003. When one of these
workstations brings up the Access database (now opened with Access 2003),
they are able to input the data as usual. But when they try to bring up the
Mail Merge document, it opens the document but states it is not a mail merge
document. Of course it cannot procede. If I debug when it suggests, it is
still looking at the mail merge document we have always used. The place where
it stops and is highlighted is

End With
objWord.ActiveDocument.MailMerge.Execute

If I close everything and then use Word 2000 OR Word 2003 to open the
document it comes up as a mail merge document and tells me that it has to get
information from the database before it can procede. I am perplexed to say
the least. There are many of these mail merge documents in exitance and I
dread going back and recreating them in Word 2003. No. I haven't tried
that. I did open the document with Word 2003 and save it with Word 2003. It
still cfeates the same error. The mail merge still works using Office 2000,
so I have some leeway. But I need to get upgraded. Help?
--
Doug
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

--
Doug
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What is probably happening is that the security warning about an SQL command
being run when you open a mail merge document is interfering with the
process.

In the Knowledge Base article "Opening This Will Run the Following SQL
Command" Message When You Open a Word Document - 825765 at:

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

this is information on how to modify the Registry to prevent that warning
from appearing.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.