Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Brian Brian is offline

Default Manual hyphenation will not insert hyphens

(Word 2003)
I am attempting to manually hyphenate a two-page, two-column document. The
manual hyphenation process works well for all but two of the paragraphs.
When I try to hyphenate those paragraphs, Word shows me where it wants to
insert the hyphens, and I click "Yes," but Word does not then insert the
hyphens like it does for the other paragraphs in the document.

All paragraphs were copied in from the same Word source document. I've
tried copying in the two paragraphs again, retyping the two paragraphs,
removing and manually reinserting all hyphens throughout the document, and
nothing has worked. I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If the text is formatted as "Do not check spelling or grammar," this kind of
hyphenation will not work. You should still be able to insert a conditional
hyphen manually using Ctrl+Hyphen.

"Brian" wrote in message
news
(Word 2003)
I am attempting to manually hyphenate a two-page, two-column document.
The
manual hyphenation process works well for all but two of the paragraphs.
When I try to hyphenate those paragraphs, Word shows me where it wants to
insert the hyphens, and I click "Yes," but Word does not then insert the
hyphens like it does for the other paragraphs in the document.

All paragraphs were copied in from the same Word source document. I've
tried copying in the two paragraphs again, retyping the two paragraphs,
removing and manually reinserting all hyphens throughout the document, and
nothing has worked. I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Brian Brian is offline

Thanks very much for your response. The text throughout this document is
formatted as "Do not check spelling or grammar" (i.e., under
Tools--Options--Spelling & Grammar, I have not checked the boxes "Check
spelling as you type" or "Check grammar as you type"). Yet I was able to
successfully use manual hyphenation (i.e.,
Tools--Language-Hyphenation--Manual) for all but two of the paragraphs in
this document. I'm trying to figure out why it will not work in those two
paragraphs. Word will hyphenate those paragraphs (and all others in the
document) using automatic hyphenation, so that is my fall-back position.