Nick

Default Drop Down Menu problem

I am using Microsoft Access 2002 and Word 2002. I keep trying to do a mail
merge but I keep getting numbers where drop down menus are in the tables. For
example if there is a list of 4 options to choose from, in the mail merge on
word, a number is given, not the option you choose. What do I have to do to
get the option to show up instead of a number.

Doug Robbins

Use a query in access that returns the data that you want and use that as
the datasource for the mailmerge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Nick" wrote in message
I am using Microsoft Access 2002 and Word 2002. I keep trying to do a mail
merge but I keep getting numbers where drop down menus are in the tables.
For
example if there is a list of 4 options to choose from, in the mail merge
on
word, a number is given, not the option you choose. What do I have to do
get the option to show up instead of a number.

Nick

That didn't help at all. I still get the numbers appearing. Some of my
co-workers said it might be something with a look up number. The way I
understood them was that all the dell's that were chosen in the drop down are
all 12. That is true also. So all the same numbers are suppose to be showing
the same thing 12 = dell, 10 = IBM and so on.

"Nick" wrote in message
I am using Microsoft Access 2002 and Word 2002. I keep trying to do a mail
merge but I keep getting numbers where drop down menus are in the tables.
For
example if there is a list of 4 options to choose from, in the mail merge
on
word, a number is given, not the option you choose. What do I have to do
get the option to show up instead of a number.

Doug Robbins

It seems like in the Access Database, the Row Source Values for the Lookup
are defined in the design of the table and it is the numbers that are being
stored, not the associated text. What you will need to do is create a
separate table that contains one field with the numbers and another with the
text that is associated with each number. Then you can use a select query
in which the two tables are linked by the fields that contain the numbers
and you can have the appropriate text value appear for each record.