My barcodes won't print!

Old February 8th 08, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CNPS

Default My barcodes won't print!

Hi. I've read the other bar code posts but no one has had this problem.

(Before someone tells me that Postnet bar codes in Word are not supported by
the USPS, please note that this case only applies to bulk mail discounts and
delivery point (apartment number) addresses. According to the USPS, Postnet
can still be used using zip codes for non-bulk mailing purposes).

I'm using Word 2003.

Here's the problem- I have to print postcards...hundreds of them. The
postcards cannot have the post office put a barcode sticker on them (the
cards are dark so they can't print directly on them either), so therefore we
must print them under the address block. I have done the mailmerge and can
see the addresses and bar codes display on my computer screen. However, when
I go to print, my mail merge fields print OK but the bar code field (which I
can see plainly on the screen), spits out something ugly like "{BARCODE "111
MAPLE ST"\u}- it has done this on all of them. Why won't the bar code print?
Please help.

Old February 8th 08, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Garfield has given you the solution, but FWIW, the USPS *will* barcode those
cards, perhaps by printing orange marks on them or perhaps by affixing a
white gummed strip containing the POSTNET bar code.

Old February 8th 08, 11:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 14:07:00 -0800, CNPS wrote:

[...]

Go to Tools Options Print and uncheck the box for "Field codes".

No, I have no idea how it got checked in the first place.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Old February 9th 08, 12:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi CNPS,

FWIW, while there are other uses for the PostNet code, the MS implementation also does not always produce valid Delivery Point codes
(i.e. multiunit addresses) with that field code, and that can slow mail delivery down.

When the code was added in 1993 the scanning equipment used by the USPS wasn't as capable as it is now, so the addition of the valid
codes by the sending party was 'rewarded' by discounting the mailing by saving the USPS processing and handling time.

The POSTNET code also doesn't print on labels that are under sized (width and or height).

=============
"CNPS" wrote in message ...
[...]

MS Office System Products MVP

Old October 7th 08, 05:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pixeditor

Using Word 2003 SP3.

FIM-A and Delivery Point Barcodes show on screen during use of
Envelopes-Labels but final printout to envelopes omits the barcodes. I have
run Detect and Repair and reinstalled print driver but still no luck. Field
codes are unchecked as is Draft Output.

help is appreciated.

"CNPS" wrote in message ...
[...]

postage barcodes cmedina Microsoft Word Help 8 May 11th 07 05:51 PM
How to print barcodes NOT on labels or envelopes? Sondra Microsoft Word Help 4 September 24th 06 04:36 AM
Barcodes Dig Microsoft Word Help 3 February 28th 06 09:06 PM
How can I print non-postal barcodes from Word using a mail merge . Bruce Mailmerge 1 March 18th 05 08:28 AM
barcodes Dennis Microsoft Word Help 2 December 15th 04 02:31 PM