Why do I get Next Record as my label when using Mail Merge?

Old February 12th 08, 09:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jim zuber

Default Why do I get Next Record as my label when using Mail Merge?

I'm using an EXCEL file with Word 2003 Mail Merge to create labels. When I
open my 3 column spreadsheet, everything looks good. Then when it loads into
the word document, the area where the first label would appear is blank,
while the remaining fields on sheet have "Next Record" as the label. What
am I doing wrong?
Old February 12th 08, 11:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

You aren't doing anything wrong at all. But Word expects you to tell it what
fields in your data source you want to appear in each label. Word does not
try to guess what you want, oor which fields in your data source it should
use.

So...

Insert the fields you need into the /first/ label in your layout.

Use the Propagate labels facility (I leave you to find it) to copy the
fields you inserted to each label in your layout.

Each label except the first should have Next record at the beginning.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Old February 13th 08, 12:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rich/rerat

jim zuber,
The first label is where you create the way your labels will look like. Once
you are satisfied with the look of the label. On the Mail Merge toolbar,
there should be a button to Propagate the rest of the labels based on the
first label. Once that is done you should Merge to New Document, and review
how the labels will be printed. Then you can print from the document you
created after the merge, if you are satisfied with the results. If not, you
can go back to the original document, change the first label, then Propagate
the Label information again, Merge to New Document, and check the results,
and Print when ready.

Rich/rerat
(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

Old February 13th 08, 10:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP