How to span/split a tall picture to multiple pages

Old March 22nd 08, 10:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Singapore Web Design

Default How to span/split a tall picture to multiple pages

Hello,

As in title - I am trying to span an image to multiple pages without having
to manually cut it using an image editor.

For example, a picture that is 3 pages height and 1 page width - it should
split into 3 pages nicely rather than one page containing the partial image.

I would prefer not to split the picture, but store it as one whole image in
the word document, with the images continuing into the next page if too tall
to fit in one page.

Thanks in advance.

--
Singapore Web Design
http://www.bootstrike.com/Webdesign/

Old March 22nd 08, 11:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Objects in Word cannot span pages, so what you ask is impossible.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old March 22nd 08, 12:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Singapore Web Design

Hello,

Thank you for your prompt response.

PS: http://word.mvps.org/index.html has an item on the left named 'site map'
that links to a Zip file. Is this on purpose?

Old March 22nd 08, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
grammatim[_2_]

How about inserting the image into the file three times, masking first
the bottom 2/3, then the top and bottom 1/3s, then the top 2/3?

Old March 23rd 08, 12:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell

Then the document will bloat (three images and not one). The only sensible
solution is to split it in an image editor - such as the free IrfanView.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Old March 23rd 08, 06:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
grammatim[_2_]

See OP's first sentence.

I downloaded both Irfan and GIMP (because they were there), on the
offchance that I might someday need a graphics program. How good are
they?

Old March 23rd 08, 10:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell

The point was, you cannot do what the OP wants to do (split across pages):
your solution does give a result but at the expense of putting three
graphics into the document which will cause enormous bloat and therefore is
inadvisable to even try.

IrfanView is probably the leading free graphics editor. I use it a huge
amount for editing graphics before they are inserted into Word and for
editing pictures before they go on the web.

Although the graphics handling in Word 2007 seems to be a better than in
previous versions, it still seems advantageous to actually resample
pictures/graphics in IrfanView so that they are the correct size and
resolution before inserting them. The end document is much smaller and
easier to handle (especially long documents with many graphics) as Word
still keep remnants for the Reset graphic option.

Terry