How to word wrap a URL

Old April 4th 08, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
IllinoisFarmLover

Default How to word wrap a URL

I need to know how to get a URL within a document to word wrap. I do not
need the URL to be a hyperlink. When I type a reference list at the end of a
school paper, the entire URL in a citation is always kept together, and the
final formatting of the citation looks terrible.

Any suggestions? I need simple directions if this is even possible.
Old April 4th 08, 04:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Pick a likely spot and insert a No-Width Optional Break (Insert | Symbol |
Special Characters).

"IllinoisFarmLover" wrote in
message ...

Old April 4th 08, 05:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
IllinoisFarmLover

I tried your suggestion, and it did not work. Here is what I did, maybe you
can figure out what I am doing wrong.

My text would show something like this:

Retrieved (date) at
http://www...

So I put my cursor right after the 't' in at, clicked Insert, Symbol,
Special Characters, then chose No-Width Optional Break, and clicked on
Insert, then Close.

When I got back to my document view, I tried to bring the URL back to the
line on which the 'at' resides by clicking Backspace just before the 'http',
but it would do nothing but bring the 'at' down next to the 'http'.

So what am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

Old April 5th 08, 03:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

I think there's some misunderstanding about the "pick a likely spot" instruction
-- it seems IllinoisFarmLover put the break character before the beginning of
the URL and expected that to somehow make the URL break at the right place.

The No-Width Optional Break must be inserted somewhere in the middle of the URL,
so that the part before the break can fit on the line with the preceding text
and the part after the break goes on the next line.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old April 5th 08, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
IllinoisFarmLover

That's exactly what I did - now I understand what to do, and it worked like a
charm. Thanks so much for being patient with a non-geek like me.
Appreciate all of your help!