Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LMW LMW is offline

Default Template Text Box

I've been asked to set up a form template in Word 2003. I need to insert an
editable text box, but prevent text entered into the text box from
overflowing. Anyone know how I can prevent another user's text from
overflowing the box provided?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use a table cell and fix the row height and column width. You won't be able
to stop users from overfilling the available space, but the excess text will
disappear so should give the users a clue that all is not well

LMW wrote:
I've been asked to set up a form template in Word 2003. I need to
insert an editable text box, but prevent text entered into the text
box from overflowing. Anyone know how I can prevent another user's
text from overflowing the box provided?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LMW LMW is offline

Thanks, Graham. I should have indicated that the actual space to be
filled-in is fixed (I did use a table cell). What I need to prevent
happening is the disappearing text. Once the space is full, I need it to
stop accepting characters. I've thought of linking the box to a box on the
a table cell?

LMW wrote:
I've been asked to set up a form template in Word 2003. I need to
insert an editable text box, but prevent text entered into the text
box from overflowing. Anyone know how I can prevent another user's
text from overflowing the box provided?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Limit the text input by setting the text field property to the number of
characters that will nearly fill the space. This will stop the users typing
when the limit is reached.

You cannot link table cells in the manner you describe.

LMW wrote:
Thanks, Graham. I should have indicated that the actual space to be
filled-in is fixed (I did use a table cell). What I need to prevent
happening is the disappearing text. Once the space is full, I need
it to stop accepting characters. I've thought of linking the box to
a box on the next page, but for some reason, it wouldn't link.
Perhaps because I DID use a table cell?

LMW wrote:
I've been asked to set up a form template in Word 2003. I need to
insert an editable text box, but prevent text entered into the text
box from overflowing. Anyone know how I can prevent another user's
text from overflowing the box provided?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LMW LMW is offline

Still working on the issue of limiting text within a text box. The text box
is actually almost an entire page and I have not been able to figure how many
characters that would contain. Any ideas?

LMW wrote:
I've been asked to set up a form template in Word 2003. I need to
insert an editable text box, but prevent text entered into the text
box from overflowing. Anyone know how I can prevent another user's
text from overflowing the box provided?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Fill the box with text, select the visible text and run the following macro
to count the characters

Sub CountChars()
MsgBox Selection.Characters.Count
End Sub