Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
arun arun is offline

Default Cannot open a macro enabled word document

I uploaded a macro enabled word file to a web application and when I tried to
open it through the application I get a message €śFile Error€ť..where as I can
open it from my hard drive.
When I tried to download that file to my system and open it I get the same
message. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Arun

Arun wrote:
I uploaded a macro enabled word file to a web application and when I tried to
open it through the application I get a message €śFile Error€ť..where as I can
open it from my hard drive.

I doubt anyone can say much about an unknown web application. But this
latter sentence suggests that maybe the file was damaged during upload
(often: ASCII instead of BINARY via FTP).

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
arun arun is offline

Hi Robert

Thanks for the reply. This is a web application written in VB.net and SQL
Server2005 as back end. In this application users can upload their
departments procedures and manuals. Most of the files are in pdf format..
While some are in word format. Only macro enabled documents face this
problem. If that is the case how can we rectify it?

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Arun

Arun wrote:
I uploaded a macro enabled word file to a web application and when I tried to
open it through the application I get a message €śFile Error€ť..where as I can
open it from my hard drive.

I doubt anyone can say much about an unknown web application. But this
latter sentence suggests that maybe the file was damaged during upload
(often: ASCII instead of BINARY via FTP).

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Arun

Arun wrote:
Arun wrote:
I uploaded a macro enabled word file to a web application and when I tried to
open it through the application I get a message €śFile Error€ť..where as I can
open it from my hard drive.

I doubt anyone can say much about an unknown web application. But this
latter sentence suggests that maybe the file was damaged during upload
(often: ASCII instead of BINARY via FTP).

Thanks for the reply. This is a web application written in VB.net and
SQL Server2005 as back end. In this application users can upload
their departments procedures and manuals. Most of the files are in pdf
format..
While some are in word format. Only macro enabled documents face this
problem. If that is the case how can we rectify it?

sorry, no idea.

Things to look into: How are the documents stored on the server? How are
they opened through the application again? What format (*.doc or
*.docx/docm) are you dealing with?

When you can establish that the document is fine before uploading, then
try to copy it directly as it is stored on the server and open it. If
that alredy throws the error, then you know that either during upload or
through your application storing it on your server/in your DB, the file
integrity has been violated.

If the files are still good there, well, then it's the downloading process.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |