contacting the server for information

Old June 11th 08, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kristy Walker

Default contacting the server for information

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I keep getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the document freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this? I do not
need the document tied in any way to the original website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)

Old June 13th 08, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom P.

I'm having the same problem, and you didn't answer the question. We don't
want to have to wait for 20 seconds while Word stupidly "contacts the
server," we just want to paste plain text without having to wait. In order
for him to select the "entire the entire pasted portion and press
Ctrl+Shift+F9" we have to wait 20 seconds for Word to paste it. This is
unacceptable.

Old June 13th 08, 04:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Suzanne answered the question asked. Yours is a different but related issue.
Use edit paste special unformatted text.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old January 27th 09, 01:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Saleem

Hi Guys,

I have got quiet a few documents that when I open say "Contacting \\192....
for Information". I have tried installing a local printer as well as
CTRL+SHIFT+F9 but nothing happens. What's the probable cause and solution.

Regards

Saleem

Old April 1st 09, 09:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert Strong

Is there a value somewhere located in the registry that stores a "timeout"
value for this error?

I have been able to generate some VB code to go through thousands of
documents and switch the template back to Normal.dot instead of a sever-side
template. The only problem is, Word's timeout value takes to long to timeout
once a document is opened. If it was set to 1 sec, then that would be
reasonable to deal with, but 60 secs+, 120 secs+ tests my patience.

I was referred to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823372/ but 1) I have XP
SP2 installed, and the registry modification failed to do anything, even with
complete reboot.

So, does anyone have a suggestion? I'm using Word 2003, XP SP2. I would
rather have this fixed, so I don't have to face-pace my Word 2007 migration.

Old April 20th 09, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TonyK

Are you serious that Microsoft hasn't found an issue for this yet? SO MANY
PEOPLE HAVE THIS ISSUE!!!. Search some threads on the internet, and NO it
is NOT an acceptable solution to paste just text, when sometimes we need the
formatting from the websites. PLEASE help fix this problem!.

Old May 12th 09, 08:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Maples

That is not a solution when one is trying copy graphics into Word. Frankly
that is (was) my only reason for paying for Word 2007.

Julian Maples

Old May 12th 09, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For graphics, instead of Copy/Paste, right-click the graphic and choose Save
Picture As. Then insert the saved picture from your HD using Insert |
Picture. This has the advantage that if anything goes wrong with the
document, you still have the picture saved externally in a proper graphic
format.

http://word.mvps.org