Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Frank[_4_] Frank[_4_] is offline

Default Word cannot obtain the data for the link

We have a project (industrial psych) that, among other things, includes
producing personal profiles and emailing them to clients.

I have a macro to drive a Word mail merge from Excel, making alterations to
charts and updating links before each record gets merged.

I have found that links to Excel Chart Objects produce really ugly (poor
scaling, undesired scales in ugly fonts, etc.) results in my outgoing emails,
while the same
chart designated only as a Microsoft Office Graphic Object scales
beautifully and appears otherwise "as-is", matching its look in Excel. This
worked for all cases until yesterday's.

Now, in another very similar case, I cannot, recieving the message:
"Word cannot obtain the link data for the ExcelSheetMacroEnabled.12 link"

I initially though this might relate to one chart appearing on its own sheet
(not the case - I've moved it to its own sheet) or that the path/name for the
link might be too long (not the case either - I've tried both documents in a
root directory with short file names)

I can still paste the chart from the clipbard, or paste-special a link as an
Excel Chart, but not as the MSGO...

What loses this kind of link information?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

WHen I looked at this (Office 2007 SP1 on Vista 64 SP1) I could not "Paste
Link" after copying any Microsoft Graphic Object in any of the applications
I tried (Excel, PowerPoint, Word). If you create the graphic in Word and try
to paste|link into Excel or PowerPoint, you just see the Paste Options - all
the Paste Link options are greyed. When using Paste Special in Word, the
format is offered but does not work - I get the same error as you. I haven't
tried every configuration option I can think of yet. However, there do seem
to have been more problems with links recently and perhaps a "security fix"
has affected the behaviour.

Is it possible that you actually simply pasted before, rather than
paste-link? If you have an example of a document where you definitely
paste-linked before, can you try revealing the Link field code (try Alt-F9)
and copying the text in there into a message in this conversation?

It is perhaps significant that the "OLE Class Name" in the error message is
for an Excel.Sheet, not for a Microsoft Graphic Object.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

news