Ctrl-Shift-Space Doesn't Work Any More

Old October 9th 08, 06:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man

Default Ctrl-Shift-Space Doesn't Work Any More

I saw a posting on this subject recently, but now I can't find it.

A lady I work with recently installed a new scanner. Now, Ctrl-Shift-Space
opens the scanner application instead of giving her a nonbreaking space.

She and I tried to customize her keyboard and reassign that key combination
to the nonbreaking space, but we couldn't find a command for nonbreaking
space under the Edit, Insert, or Format lists. We tried to set her
Autocorrect Options to change three spaces (something she'd never use) to a
nonbreaking space, but it wouldn't ever activate the Add control with only
spaces in the fields.

What's the workaround to get her nonbreaking spaces back again?

Thanks for the help.

Fred
Old October 9th 08, 07:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Idaho Word Man wrote:
I saw a posting on this subject recently, but now I can't find it.

A lady I work with recently installed a new scanner. Now,
Ctrl-Shift-Space opens the scanner application instead of giving her
a nonbreaking space.

She and I tried to customize her keyboard and reassign that key
combination to the nonbreaking space, but we couldn't find a command
for nonbreaking space under the Edit, Insert, or Format lists. We
tried to set her Autocorrect Options to change three spaces
(something she'd never use) to a nonbreaking space, but it wouldn't
ever activate the Add control with only spaces in the fields.

What's the workaround to get her nonbreaking spaces back again?

Thanks for the help.

Fred

You were so close... In the Customize Keyboard dialog, set the category to
Common Symbols (the last one in the list). The nonbreaking space is in
right-hand list, between the Registered symbol and the Paragraph symbol.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old October 9th 08, 08:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But that will almost certainly not help if another application has hijacked
the shortcut "upstream," as it were (I tend to keep forgetting that if I
have the player for my digital voice recorder paused and use F4 for Repeat
in Word, it instead starts up the player again). Instead, it will be
necessary to either assign a different combination to the nonbreaking space
or see if it's possible to assign a different shortcut in the scanner
software.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Idaho Word Man wrote:
[...]

so all may benefit.