Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AugustusFellers AugustusFellers is offline

Default How can I add descriptions/text under pictures in Word 2007?

What is the best way to add a description under a picture? I want the width
of the text to be the same width as the picture. I am writing a book and it
will contain several pictures that vary in width. Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

ISTR that a Caption uses the full page width?

You could make a one-column, two-row Table, put the picture in the
upper cell and the caption in the lower (it can still have the Caption
or any other autonumbered style). Set all your table borders to none.

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

AugustusFellers wrote:
What is the best way to add a description under a picture? I want the
width of the text to be the same width as the picture. I am writing a
book and it will contain several pictures that vary in width. Thank
you-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

grammatim wrote:
ISTR that a Caption uses the full page width?

Only if the picture is inserted in-line (whereupon it behaves pretty much as
a font character). If a wrap option is set the caption will be the width of
the picture.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But that will be because the caption will be in a text box, which will be
okay in Word 2007 (the TOC and Xrefs can see it) but not if the document is
opened in an earlier version.