Using Mail Merge to Populate a Form

Old October 23rd 08, 05:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lenny

Default Using Mail Merge to Populate a Form

I currently have set up a Word 2003 Protected Form Template. This is a
certification of training form that the user normally enters the employees
badge no., name, and dept no. into a three-column table on the form.

The users of the form now want to pull in this information from an Excel
2003 spreadsheet that is kept at the department level into the table on the
form. There are 15 rows to the table. Each employee may be listed multiple
times in the listing due to different training completed and being recorded
for submittal. When output to the merged file, I am getting mixed results
but none correctly. When I enter the merge fields as indicated below, it
generated about 60 pages with the individual names listed many more times
than on the original excel spreadsheet. When I change the field to include:
NextMergeformat to both fields it produces only 2 sheets that list the
first instance for each employee. There are only 61 rows of record on the
excel spread sheet, so it should only generate 3 output pages. I tried
entering the row range in the last option of the "Merge to New Document"
window as "From 2 To 61" but this is not giving me all the records. What am
I doing wrong? Lenny

Example:
ID No. Name Dept.
000001 ID Employee 1 ID NAME
000008 ID Employee 2 ID NAME
000101 ID Employee 3 ID NAME
000001 ID Employee 1 ID NAME

Old October 24th 08, 05:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

It is not really clear what you are tyring to achieve, but the information
at the following web page may help:

http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3815

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Old October 27th 08, 01:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lenny

Doug: I am trying to pull 61 rows from 2 specific columns in an Excel 2003
spreadsheet into a form template (unprotected) that populates a 2 column, 15
row table. I have tried several ways of using the merge fields in the table
in Word 2003 with very mixed results. Column A from both spreadsheet and
table is the Employee Name and Column B is the Name of the class they took.
Their name is replicated a number of times in the Excel spreadsheet because
they completed several different classes.

Using Next with the mergfield only pulls in the first instance of the
employee name and drops all subsequent iterations. Just using mergfields
produces a document with each name replicated more times than they appear in
the Excel spreadsheet, producing a 60-page document.

Really - all I want to do is get the 2-columns of information out of the
Excel spreadsheet and into the 2-column, 15 row table in Word..... Lenny