Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Amy E. Baggott Amy E. Baggott is offline

Default Getting Read or Delivery Receipts When Merging from Word to Outloo

We are currently using a third-party mass e-mailing program to contact our
exhibitors to remind them of deadlines, etc. It does a good job of tracking,
but we have a problem with the mail program saying they are delivered, but
the exhibitors saying they never got them. I realize that there is a
difference between never got them and "never got them," but we were thinking
of using a Word merge and Outlook to test whether the delivery or open rates
might be better. The only problem is that I cannot find anywhere in the
merge-to-email system that will allow me to request a delivery or read
receipt. It is important to us to be able to track whether our exhibitors
are receiving these reminders. Can the Word 2003/Outlook 2003 combination
give us this information, or will we only get the bounce notices?
--
Amy E. Baggott

"I''m going crazy and I''m taking all of you with me!" -- Linda Grayson
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

There's nothing in the built-in MailMerge to email that lets you do that,
but if you use the following process you could set the read receipt for all
the messages you merge:

1. Ensure there is nothing in the Outbox
2. Use Outlook Tools-Options-Mail Setup-Send/Receive to prevent Outlook
from sending (sorry, I have to leave you to work that one out!)
3. Perform the merge to email. There should now be an Outbox full of emails
waiting to go
4. Use an Outlook VBA macro such as the following to set the read receipt
for each message (you may need to adapt this for your system)

Sub SetReadReceiptRequest()
Dim mi As MailItem
For Each mi In
Outlook.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(olFo lderOutbox).Items
mi.ReadReceiptRequested = True
mi.Save
mi.Send
Next
End Sub

5. Use Outlook Tools-Options-Mail Setup-Send/Receive to re-enable Outlook
send
6. Send!

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Amy E. Baggott" wrote in message
[...]

Bullet Point attachements on emails using Word as editor in Outloo klcgolf Microsoft Word Help 0 June 12th 08 02:27 PM
HOW CAN I PRINT A LIST OF THE ATTACHEMTNS FROM AN E-MAIL IN OUTLOO Hana Microsoft Word Help 1 August 9th 06 09:19 AM
issue cash receipts martin Page Layout 1 April 15th 06 07:00 PM
How can I stop mailmerge from looking up email address from Outloo norma Mailmerge 1 February 3rd 06 05:05 AM
Creating a one page newsletter in MSWord to be sent through Outloo Mike Microsoft Word Help 2 May 13th 05 12:04 AM