mail merge directory creating page breaks

Old November 3rd 08, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
thadleffingwell

Default mail merge directory creating page breaks

Hi,

I am trying to create a handout for a poster session that includes titles
and authors for each poster listed on a single page. The data is in Excel
2007 and I am using Word 2007 to do the merge. I have tried using the
Directory merge, but it keeps inserting a page break between each record. I
can't get them all on the same page. Can anyone help? I've tried saving the
source data as Excel 2003 and tab-delimited text, and I get the same problem.

Thanks, Thad
Old November 3rd 08, 06:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Assuming that you have set the mail merge main document correctly for a
Directory type merge operation (on the Mailings tab of the Ribbon, in the
Start Mail Merge section, click on the Start Mail Merge pulldown and select
Directory), in the mail merge main document, insert a one row table into the
cells of which you insert the required merge fields. You must have nothing
else in that document other than anything that you want to be repeated for
each record in the data source. Then when you execute that merge to a new
document, that document will contain a table with a row of data for each
record in the data source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"thadleffingwell" wrote in
message ...

Old June 21st 12, 02:47 AM
AviJ AviJ is offline

If I want to have 3 items from the merge on the same row, is there any way to do so? I've managed to do as the original questioner did and get them onto individual pages, and have also managed to do do what you initially suggested and, using rows, getting multiple on a page. How about 3 per row? Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Robbins - Word MVP View Post