Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margi Margi is offline

Default How do I merge several Word documents to make one large one?

I have several Word documents created in RoboHelp which I want to combine
into one large documents. In previous versions of Word, you could create a
sort of skeleton and pull in the different files. Is this possible in Word
2007, and if so, how do I do it?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are referring to the Master Document feature, it still exists but is
still somewhat temperamental. I have not been able to determine where the
feature lives in Word 2007, however.

"Margi" wrote in message
I have several Word documents created in RoboHelp which I want to combine
into one large documents. In previous versions of Word, you could create
sort of skeleton and pull in the different files. Is this possible in
Word
2007, and if so, how do I do it?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The phrase does not appear in Help.

But go to View tab, choose Outline view, and you get an Outlining tab
at the left of the Ribbon, and it has a Master Document group.

"Margi" wrote in message

I have several Word documents created in RoboHelp which I want to combine
into one large documents. *In previous versions of Word, you could create
sort of skeleton and pull in the different files. *Is this possible in
Word
2007, and if so, how do I do it?
Thanks- -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yabbut once you've got it, how do you use it? If it's completely
absent from Help, and the aftermarket books say don't use it? (I
quoted Inside Word2007 last time -- MS Press's own book!)

On Nov 12, 3:59*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Thanks, grammatim. I was running out the door and didn't have time to hunt.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I did download it ... the one that says everyone who warns against
using it doesn't know what they're talking about?

On Nov 13, 1:21*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
There was at one time a very long article on how to use Master Documents
safely and effectively, but the last time I hunted for it, that Web page had
been taken down. The conventional wisdom is that master docs should be used
only for final assembly and printing, and that you should only ever edit the
subdocuments, not the master. But I've never used the feature, so I'm
talking through my hat.